New P-64 FTF's (but accurate)

Info, pictures, advice...
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

I probably messed up, but I just used 3-in-1 oil on mine to do the original cleaning.... :'(
Last edited by himmel on September 11th, 2007, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

I think I did something similar Himmel - I just used Eezox. Apparently some of these pistols are more gunky than others. I haven't personally seen a P-64 that came as drenched in cosmoline as a couple of Makarovs I bought, butthey're reported to be out there.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

weetabix, welcome to the forum!
Go to your local gun range and buy whatever the owners tell you that they use, they have far more invested in their rental products than anyone at the forum and will not give you bad advice. One thing you will notice that no one disagrees with is to clean your new pistol inside and out and do regular cleanings and proper oiling to keep the pistol in tiptop condition. We have all experienced the same problem you mentioned at one time or another. Every pistol has a break in period, every manufacturer advises a certain number of rounds through the item before you can depend on it. If we all spoke and read Polish there would be no disagreement about these issues. Be advised that you have purchased a very nice, reliable and accurate pistol that just needs a little TLC. With a little range time you will fall in love with your new Polish pistol. Do the spring replacements as you see fit and you will only come to enjoy it more.
Welcome aboard, will be looking foreword to your insights and comments.
Gunny Rabbit.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on September 11th, 2007, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Go to your local gun range and buy whatever the owners tell you that they use, they have far more invested in their rental products than anyone at the forum and will not give you bad advice.
gunney, you may be right, but it may depend a lot on the range. There are some forum folks that I trust much more than my local range for advice, including some people who post here. My local indoor range changes products monthly based on profit and they don't have counter folks who know their products.
rick9plus

Post by rick9plus »

Thanks for the cleaning info, guys. I just got my first P-64 a week ago and this information is very helpful to me.

Weetabix, I appreciate your willingness to be a novice regarding all of those firearm acromyms. FTF, FTE, FMJ, JHP, IWB, OWB, CCW, etc... these acronyms can be confusing to newbies, and many posters (on this and other firearms forums) sometimes assume that the readers must already know this stuff.

I think the posters on this forum are great, but it's good to realize that some of us are being introduced to firearms by reading your postings. Adding a little explaination to your posts really helps us newbies.

Thanks!
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Simple answer to fixing the basic problems of a new gun, doesn't matter if it is NIB (New In Box) or Milsurp (Military Surplus), here is the answer...now pay attention...clean it then shoot it then clean it again, repeat often. ::)

Another hint, the more you do it the better the P-64 will shoot.

Seriously no one on this forum or any other will tell you any differently, with any gun clean it throughly but especially with a milsurp...they are literally dipped into cosmoline and placed in storage (cosmoline is a combo of grease and parafin) that stuff gets into everything and as you'll see by the condition of many surplus firearms...it works! There are as many "formulas" for removing cosmoline as there are gun owners...break cleaner, kerosene, WD40, hot water, a metal trash can and a heat lamp...and so on and so on and so on.

Good luck and keep shotting straight! ;D
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

weetabix & rick9plus,

Welcome aboard guys, we glad to have ya with us.

nick9plus,

Thanks for the reminder on the synonym's we use here and on other boards as well. The FTF is the most confusing for me, it can can mean , face to face, failure to fire, and failure to feed.........it has caused me to FTF [failure to find] what the heck they are talking aobut....... :'(. I am guilty of using the synonym's a lot myself, so we need to keep the newbie's in mind ya'll. By the way, weetabix and nick9plus, there are no dumb questions, if you don't know, just ask.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

I think I did something similar Himmel - I just used Eezox. Apparently some of these pistols are more gunky than others. I haven't personally seen a P-64 that came as drenched in cosmoline as a couple of Makarovs I bought, butthey're reported to be out there.
Mine was pretty clean at that--the worst part was the mainspring, but I just used more oil there till it was clean. BTW, I find the folks here more knowledgeable than just about anyone I've met at the gunshops, etc (I don't have a range to go to myself)
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

Thanks for all the good information.

I've got the pictorial disassembly file on the jump drive, and I hope to have time this weekend for a detail strip & clean. I'll report back.

Anybody know how to set threads to email you when there's been a reply?
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

I cleaned the gun & magazines after my last trip. I went to the range today and forcefed several magazines through the gun, then fired a box. It worked much better this time, though I still had a few failures to feed. It launched brass into orbit. I have the recoil spring and main spring on order for the recommended fixes. Thanks for all the advice.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Anybody know how to set threads to email you when there's been a reply?
We don't have that option because we had to keep the cost down, its a nice option to have but we've been getting by........ ;D

papaberar
POINT SHOOTER
exe

Post by exe »

I have used gas, brake cleaner, and loads of other things to get cosmo off guns.. by far the best was brake cleaner.. carb cleaner works as well.

Keep your nose out of the stuff and your hands washed after use and you will be fine.

If it works use it.. I also have always had a fan going so I don't have to breath in all the fumes.

Am I going to spend hours obsessing over a MSDS sheet, no.. am I going to be careful not to breathe the stuff in while using it quickly.. yes.

Edited to add: When I got my P64, it was brand new.. no cosmo either but lightly oiled and not a scratch on it. Almost as if the dealer had cleaned it and it had never been issued to anyone prior to being sold.. guess I was lucky :)
Last edited by exe on October 1st, 2007, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

On the topic of break-in, I understand that firing lots of rounds through will do that. (I haven't had as much opportunity as I'd like to put rounds through it.)

Will I hurt anything if I dry fire it a bunch to get all the trigger mechanism stuff broken in without going to the range?

Any firing pin breakage issues like the CZ-52?
9x18shooter

Post by 9x18shooter »

I dry fired mine a bunch with a snap cap. I would not do it without one.............
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

weetabix
Its best to get some snap caps , there have been 5 broken safties and 1 broken firing pin

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage