New P-64 FTF's (but accurate)

Info, pictures, advice...
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

So, I picked up my P-64 on Aug 29 or 30 and went shooting this weekend.

I had some problems that I hope will be related to break-in. I'm not sure this pistol has been fired much.

I don't know all the correct terms for these problems, so I'd appreciate a vocabulary lesson as well as suggestions for these problems. The pistol shot very accurately, so I'd like to iron these out.

- Several times, the slide did not come fully forward (didn't come into battery?). I could push it lightly with my thumb, and it would move forward and I could then fire it.

- Several times, as the slide came forward, the round went up to high and didn't enter the chamber. If I pulled the slide back a short distance and released it, it would usually chamber the round. Is this a Failure To Feed (FTF)? I think the magazine might not have been releasing very well. I was mostly shooting Silver Bear JHP's, but some Prvi FMJ's and Norinco FMJ's did it, too.

Ideas? Thoughts? Are these failure modes common? Do they get better?
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

I'm no expert but you may need to change out your recoil spring to solve the slide not coming forward. (It's ok, I don't know the terms either)
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

Take the mag apart and clean it very well, inside and out. Lube very lightly with gun oil.

If you have not already done so, detail strip ;and clean and lube the pistol.

Welcome aboard!

bZ.
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

Trent - I have plans for the heavier recoil spring, I just haven't gotten it yet. It kind of beat up my hand.

bzinggg - I took the mags apart and cleaned them when I got home. Lots of reddish stuff came out that I would take for rust, but I'm not sure how it got there. I did a field strip clean before I went, but not a detail strip & clean. Those intimidate me a bit. No time like the present to learn, though. There are instructions somewhere here on the site, aren't there?
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

2 things to look at weetabix (great handle):

Your pistol may have been in storage for some time, covered in cosmoline. A good degreasing, followed by light oiling will help fix a lot of problems. You may try a non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

Most semi-auto pistols that have not been shot need a break in period. I think Glocks come with instructions to shoot some number of rounds through (in the 100s) before you judge the dependability. This will smooth out the feed ramp where your round is hanging up coming out of the magazine, and just generally make the parts work better together. If you want, get to a safe place, point the pistol toward something it's Ok to shoot, and just slide-cycle a lot of rounds through the pistol without shooting. Or, force-feed and fire 5 or 6 boxes of ammo through your new pistol and then write back.

FTF = Fail to Fire or Faile to Feed. A confusing abbreviation that could be done away with.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Welcome aboard!

Like Nbender said clean it, clean it, clean it. It takes alot to get all the cosmoline out. When using the brake cleaner be sure not to use it on anything plastic like your grips. I understand brake cleaner likes to eat plastic! Be careful...and protect your eyes. :o

FTF also means...Face To Face (as is a sale/transfer done FTF instead of utilizing a dealer for transfer).
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

This is just my opinion, but according to this excerpt from a Material Safety Data sheet concerning brake cleaners and carburetor cleaners, I would recommend Mineral Spirits or Naptha. They are more appropriate solvents for grease, oil and cosmoline and much, much safer:

bZ.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Welcome weetabix!

If you use brake cleaners just make sure they're alchohol based. Most are now, but read the label, if it's highly flammable its the alchohol based stuff. Of course since it is highly flammable, keep all sparks, flames, ect... far, far away!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 nbender, you did say, " Your pistol may have been in storage for some time, covered in cosmoline. A good degreasing, followed by light oiling will help fix a lot of problems. "You may try a non-chlorinated brake cleaner". These pistols do need to be cleaned/soaked and oiled extremely well before shooting. Most folks are use to buying a NIB or a piece in good condition, but these P-64 have been stored for years and the gunk and cosmoline can really mess up the function and cause all kinds of problems with a stored for years pistol, most of us here have learned to throughly clean the P-64 and it has saved a lot of time and effort.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

Here we go again! ;D I hope we can all keep a good humor about points we disagree on this time around.

Dissassemble and clean.

I said that before the brake cleaner suggestion came up, if you all will review the posts!

All brake cleaner is made to cut brake fluid, though it may serve to melt oil and grease off brake parts. It's the wrong solvent to use cleaning guns, no matter who has "always used it" etc., etc. It's not something we should recommend to the general public here on a responsible forum.

Just my opinion, nothing personal, but I'm sticking to my guns!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid#Mineral-based
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

I don't know how "we" are going anywhere, but they make brake cleaner without chlorinated solvents, and that type of non-chlorinated cleaner is a recognized responsible solvent for removing grease.

http://www.gunk.com/CAT_M715.asp

http://www.instawares.com/aero-non-chlo ... 51.0.7.htm

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products ... product=53

http://www.3m.com/product/information/N ... eaner.html

I'd remove the plastic grips.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Before this conversation completely devolves into a discussion on the composition of responsible, family-oriented brake cleaners, I hope we don't lose beetawix.

I think the second part of my suggestion, about shooting the pistol a lot, or cyclying rounds through without firing, is also important. Semi-autos need break in.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

Please don't get personal and insulting.

It's a free country and people have the right to disagree with you.

Here is the link that you gave on 3m brake cleaner:

http://www.3m.com/product/information/N ... eaner.html

I would ask other readers to go there and click on the pdf link on the right side of the page that is titled "MSDS" and decide for themselves whether they want to use the product as it contains benzene and other dangerous chemicals, especially if they clean their weapon in a location other than a well ventilated shop or out of doors. Many folks have to work in the kitchen, or a corner of their apartment bedroom, etc.

One has to click on the link "More information" first to go to the page with the pdf link on it.

Thank you for your consideration.

bZ.
Last edited by bzinggg on September 11th, 2007, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by rlj102468 »

Just stop it!
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

I missed the personal part.

The good thing about those links is that you can scan the ingredients of each and decide which you would like to use. I thought chlorinated solvents were the concern. If benzene is a concern to you - well, I've seen people pump gas into their vehicles wearing a protective mask. It's pretty hard to get from the bed to the bathroom without coming into contact with some listed agent.

How would you clean brake linings?

If you are concerned about using any chemicals, the Makarov Pistols Armorer's Course by the American Gunsmithing Institute recommends using Simple Green and hot water. I've used that method, followed by using a hair dryer to dry the pistol. I was more comfortable using that method on a Makarov as it doesn't have as many nooks and crannies to trap water.

Some have put the pistol on aluminum foil and placed it in a toaster oven when the wife was away. That seems pretty inefficient to me, and if you cook off cosmoline I suppose you are introducing some aromatic hydrocarbons into the kitchen atmosphere.

I think that if you choose one of the brake cleaners on the list, and apply it in a well-ventilated area, you'll be Ok.