P64 as a first pistol

Info, pictures, advice...
mikeh1

P64 as a first pistol

Post by mikeh1 »

Greets...found this site after searching for info about the P64. Is this a good first semi-auto pistol? I was thinking about the CZ52 at first, but it looks like you have to just about rebuild it before you use it! I'm obviously looking for a easy to maintain gun that I can shoot too.

T.I.A.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

P64 as a first pistol

Post by normsutton »

mikeh1

WECOME

The CZ-52 is a great gun in its own right and a lot of us on this forum have one or maybe two
The P-64 is a better gun to carry because of its size

let us know if you need any help with any thing

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
redfestiva

P64 as a first pistol

Post by redfestiva »

mikeh1,
Welcome to the forum. The P-64 was my first semi automatic purchase. I wanted a reliable pistol that was small enough for conceal carry and a big enough caliber to get the job done if need be. I did'nt want to pay a fortune for it either. I like the fact that the P-64 field strips with no tools needed. It is a simple but well made design that meets all my needs. I personally have no problem with the recoil of the P-64 but it may be an issue for some people. It does kick with some authority. It is easy to maintain and is way more accurate than most pistols of similar style and size. The 9x18 ammunition is not as readily available as 9x19 luger but can still be gotten without much trouble. You won't find it in a department store but most gunshops stock it and getting it on line is a great option. I think if you buy a P-64 you won't be disappointed and even if you decide it is not for you, there are lots of buyers so you could get your money back pretty easily.
Last edited by redfestiva on May 26th, 2007, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pshootr

P64 as a first pistol

Post by pshootr »

Glad to have you here. You can pick up a P-64 Radom for under $200 with 2 mags and a holster if you shop around. Sometimes well under. I think they are pretty reliable, and field stripping and cleaning are easy. On the other hand most people find the double action trigger pull pretty heavy, and the small sights and short barrel mean that it is no target pistol. I guess it really depends on what you are looking for.
twodogs257

P64 as a first pistol

Post by twodogs257 »

The 1972 P64 I bought last week was my first handgun and am very pleased with it after shooting 100 rds yesterday. I also bought it for the option of easy concealment since I'll be taking the handgun carry permit class soon. I'm also thinking about getting the CZ52 for a range gun since the surplus ammo is dirt cheap!! My next order will consist of this gun and a second P64 for the wife ;D I'm hooked!!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

P64 as a first pistol

Post by papabear »

mikeh1,

I can't add much to what has already been said, but I do want to welcome you aboard, and say that this is a very friendly and helpful board with a bunch of great guys. Oh, one other thing, these little P64's are habit forming to the point of addiction and most of us have more than one and a several of us have more than two. Glad to have ya here and if possible we like pix's............ ;D

P.S. I also have two CZ52's, fine pistol, but for CCW the P64 is my choice hands down.

papabear
Last edited by papabear on May 28th, 2007, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P64 as a first pistol

Post by gunneyrabbit »

mikeh1,
Welcome to the forum, you have made an excellent purchase for a first handgun. Light, fast, powerful enough and extremely accurate. You may find you will be disappointed in future handgun purchases.
mikeh1

P64 as a first pistol

Post by mikeh1 »

Haven't got one yet, I'm hoping it's on the Handgun Roster here in Calif, since it isn't C&R yet. We a bit limited here due to idiots in our state capitol. Crossing my fingers!
2001flhr

P64 as a first pistol

Post by 2001flhr »

mikeh1

Welcome, you'll find this site to be a wealth of info. The crew here are responsible intel sharers from experience. Expect clean info to inquireries on all subjects of weaponery. We are a little passionate about our polsky, only due it being an exceptional weapon. As you can see we all love pic's. So, be ready to enjoy...

Dutch

PS: Papabear, now you got me wantin' a 52 w/ those great pic's! didn't realize they looked so good all cleaned up w/ new grips...
Last edited by 2001flhr on May 28th, 2007, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P64 as a first pistol

Post by devlinfaust »

I have CZ-52's and P-64's, and enjoy them both. Although both were official sidearms of neighboring East Europe counties, they are very different in concept. Really, you might even consider going one of each. Buying a P-64 and a CZ-52 will likely cost you much less than a Glock Beretta 92fs, Springfield, etc. Of course, if you are wanting the weapon for carry, the P-64 has the edge in terms of it's size and being a double action. The recoil on my P-64's was fierce, but when I got the hang of how to hold it and, when I installed the springs from Wolff, the 'bite' went away.

Ammo is not that hard to get for either, if you are willing to do mail order.

I've been impressed with both the CZ-52 and the P-64.

Don't sweat your decision. Either way you go you'll be happy (but happier still with one of each).
pshootr

P64 as a first pistol

Post by pshootr »

Beautiful guns and beautiful pics, "papabear".

I don't see it on the CA list.
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/
Last edited by pshootr on May 28th, 2007, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeh1

P64 as a first pistol

Post by mikeh1 »

Don't see it either, P-64 manufacturer is Radom? I'll see what they have at the next gun show. Might just get a CZ52 after all. CZ83 is on the list, but I've seen CZ82 with 8 round clips (10 or less is legal here) and it's C&R.

Beautiful guns and beautiful pics, "papabear".

I don't see it on the CA list.
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

P64 as a first pistol

Post by normsutton »

mikeh1

The PA-63 is on the list to but not C&R
not as small as the P-64 but smaller than
the CZ-82 and lighter

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P64 as a first pistol

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Hay papabear,
Who did the grips for the for your P-64 and the CZ52, very nice!
The CZ grips look like they would stand up to daily use, are the P-64 grips presentation only or are they suitable for daily use?
G.R.

P.S.
mikeh1,
Sorry about my confision regarding the P-64 purchase.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on May 28th, 2007, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P64 as a first pistol

Post by devlinfaust »

Papabear, I'm always impressed by those wood grips for your CZ-52. Those are the best I've ever seen for the CZ-52. I like the Zee grips, as well. I wish he was still in business. I can kick myself for not getting some of those for the CZ-52 and the P-64, when he was churning them out.!