New member--used gun

Info, pictures, advice...
mozart3100

New member--used gun

Post by mozart3100 »

Bought my first ever handgun at a gun show this past Saturday from a local gun dealer. A P64, of course. The gun is used but very well cared for. Buying a gun at my age (almost 72), might seem silly to some, but I've always wanted to but never quite made it. I have two questions: (1) How does one tell in what year the gun was manufactured? (2) What is dry firing and how does one do it? Is this harmful to the gun? Thank you. Appears to be a really friendly forum.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

New member--used gun

Post by manicmechanic »

First of all it's my honor to welcome you to the forum!!
You're never to old to make a gun purchase. On your first question, the year of manufacture is on the slide on the right hand side in front of the serial number and circled 11. Question two answer is pulling the trigger in either single action or double action without a round in chamber. In most cases I always use a snap cap, which is a dummy round, or plastic fake round to protect the safety from damage. I've seen the safety barrels cracked from dry firing in the threads on this forum. Again welcome to your new home away from home mozart3100!
fcm018

New member--used gun

Post by fcm018 »

Welcome Mozart! I'm a newbie (to this gun and forum), too. Please tell us if you've shot it and if so, what you thought of it. I really like mine and am considering it for concealed carry if I can just get the range time to make a few tweaks & be sure of reliability...

Manic, where do you get snap caps? I see them referenced a lot on these forums, but never find them at gun shows or stores (at least not displayed in an obvious location when I walk by). guess I could always check online, right?

Clint
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

New member--used gun

Post by manicmechanic »

Clint I ended up going right to the source as I couldn't find them locally and no one could order them in for me so ....
They're the second from the bottom on the below link.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page52.html
michaelap

New member--used gun

Post by michaelap »

mozart3100
Age is not a factor, welcome and not only to this forum! There are many here who know more about these firearms than I do at 33 and you at 72 but please share your experiences with your new gun. Get to know it and ENJOY yourself! Nothing silly about that.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

New member--used gun

Post by anjdrifter »

I got mine I believe from J and G sales in prescott arizona. you can find em on line...try e bay also I have seen the caps there. .
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

New member--used gun

Post by normsutton »

mozart3100

WELCOME

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
electross

New member--used gun

Post by electross »

Hi Mozart,
There are many opinions on dry firing, probably would be best to get some snap caps but I dry fire all the time without them. Of course as soon as I have problems from not using snap caps, I will become an avid user of them. :) Dry firing with or without snap caps is one issue you get to decide, the other thing to keep in mind is that dry firing gets you acquanted with your handgun and you become comfortable with the site picture and hopefully you will shoot more accurately. Have fun.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

New member--used gun

Post by carguy »

Welcome and congratulations not just on your new acquisition but on fulfilling a lifelong desire... 8-)...very cool!

You are never to old to learn or experience something new, I hope it turns out to be more than you imagined. Let us know how you like it. This forum is full of opinions (like most) but there are more than average here that really know what they are talking about and are eager to share their knowledge. If you have any questions at all post here and we'll get you an answer...guaranteed! And there is never a stupid question when you're learning about something new and potentially deadly...so ask away!!! Oh yeah...I never recommend dry firing, just the way I feel, a gun was meant to fire with something in the barrel...pick up some snap caps or better yet get lots of ammo and shoot it. Make sure your P-64 is striped down naked as best you can, soak it in a good solvent and clean every nook and cranny. Cosmoline, grease, grime and gunk seem to hide everywhere. Last but not least...I hate WOLF ammo and recommend staying away from it...again just my 2 cents. Enjoy!

Glad to have you on board... ;D
Last edited by carguy on May 2nd, 2008, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.