The New SOG

Info, pictures, advice...
nicksterdemus

The New SOG

Post by nicksterdemus »

"Restricted Access
In order to protect dealer pricing confidentiality, S.O.G. now requires you to possess an FFL or C&R license to view product pricing for restriced items. To receive your password, you must be on file with us. Please email us, or call us at 1.800.944.4867 for more information."

Yep they changed their website up a few days ago & now ya can't even check out the surplus ala Century.
Will AIM be next?

Who sells the 64 now & shows the prices?

http://www.lewhorton.com/conitemdetail. ... mNum=44940
Last edited by nicksterdemus on January 25th, 2007, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
vinnie

The New SOG

Post by vinnie »

Send them an e-mail. If they don't know that they are losing business they will never change back.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

The New SOG

Post by normsutton »

SHONA dose
http://www.ssmedwi.com/

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on January 26th, 2007, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
prometheus

The New SOG

Post by prometheus »

SHONA dose
http://www.ssmedwi.com/

NORM
that address for SSMEDWI, is the same one that I tried to buy a Soviet TT-33 that wasn't butchered with the added safety a couple years back, for something like 230 bucks for a post war one. Needless to say I was a day late getting mine, sent the money to them and they sent it back, the ATF halted the sales of those, because it didn't have that safety. But some folks lucked out got them before the ATF stepped in. If I recall they were called German Promotion.
prometheus

The New SOG

Post by prometheus »

Who sells the 64 now & shows the prices?

http://www.lewhorton.com/conitemdetail. ... mNum=44940
Holy smokes guy, that pistol is priced for what it maybe worth in 5 years from now.

If you don't mind auction sites there are a few on GUNBROKER and AUCTIONARMS, here is one with a buy it now for $170.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displa....0Makarov%20 P64

Here is one with the holster, for 189, which is probably a better deal

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displa....%20&%20H OLSTER

Or you can see if one is at your local gun show.
Last edited by prometheus on January 26th, 2007, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saands

The New SOG

Post by saands »

Well they still are available at SOG for 139.95 or 2+ for 129.95 ea.

Saands
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

The New SOG

Post by beasleydano »

prometheus

There are some good buys on P-64s on Auction Arms & Gunbroker from time to time. I recently won an unissued 67 with 2 mags for $125 + $20 shipping. BTW, check the holster in the second auction. It is an East German Makarov holster.
prometheus

The New SOG

Post by prometheus »

BTW, check the holster in the second auction. It is an East German Makarov holster.
Opps, your're right it is. didn't look at it very good. Thanks for catching that.
nicksterdemus

The New SOG

Post by nicksterdemus »

As of this morning SOG had 700+ of 'em lying around. I bought two, sent one back n about nine days later recieved the replacement which was in better shape but the trigger had deep gouges running from top 2 bottm. They would take it back n reimberse me for my shipping but I'm tired of playing UPS tag w/'em. Asked if they had a spare trigger n they did get back w/me but no trigger 2 be had. So since this was a swap w/bud I ground the ruts out, polished them n loaded up w/cold blue. So 4 me 2 pistols w/2 percent surcharge, shipping, 3 transfers as I wasn't sure if I would send the 1st one back, 2 x mags along w/bottle of cold blue n I'm runnin' 'bout $180 per sidearm not countin' my runnin' around n ratkillin' n clean-up n labor n talkin' on da phone n e-mail not 2 mention I had ordered some ammo from "The Ammunition Store" n they took my money the 22nd n I called round noon today n they put me on hold n while on hold I got a call n quess what it was da ammo sto n they were just touchin' base w/me coz they were out of that order that they had already pulled the funds 4 a case outa my account n was kinda suprised that I didn't wanna wait on backorder n told them in no uncertain terms to credit me w/every last penny n if I was selling ammo I would know if I had it n wouldn't decide 4 days later after takin' the money that I didn't really know my butt from a hole in the ground.

Do I plan on ordering a couple mo 64s?

Yep.......................................
Last edited by nicksterdemus on January 26th, 2007, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buggyboat

The New SOG

Post by buggyboat »

I think SOG deserves a break on this. I order stuff from them often and they are a class act. As a dealer I have to say I am glad they finally hid their prices. I won’t have to put up with the "SOG has it on the Internet for $129. You want way too much" anymore. :) I got that so much that I stopped ordering the P-64 and I was ordering them 10 at a time. I don’t think they are going to loose any business by making this change. The fact is these are great guns and if they were $200 wholesale they would still be worth it. I’m just saying that if it were not for SOG I don’t believe this board would exist to the extent it does and most of you would not know what a P-64 is. They are still the best price in town just ask your dealer. :)
steve98664

The New SOG

Post by steve98664 »

I have bought several pistols from SOG, but now I can't buy anything from them. How can cutting out a sector of their business be better for them? That is just foolishness.

I don't know what percent of their business is from dealers and what is from buyers who saw the VERY LIMITED portion of their inventory online. However, they probably perceive that the majority of their business is from dealers since an FFL must transfer a pistol (unless it is C&R).

Any web vendor knows that getting the public interested in your products by showing them online (prices or not) is the SMART way to go.

I suspect they will see a drastic drop in business and modify their site. Century was a bit smarter when they went in this direction and still shows the available items, but not prices. I don't like Century or SOG's policy's but then I'm not a dealer. Century will give you a price if you call. SOG would answer inquiries about items not shown on their website in the past, but who knows now.

My FFL has given me SOG fliers and they carry way more than was shown on their website. How would dealers liquidate items like SOG CZ70 holsters (I got one) that were never shown online? I suspect SOG will streamline their business, modify their website, or just go out of business.

My last 3 purchases were from other dealers online anyhow. CDNN has great deals and you can download their complete price list. I picked up an AIM P-1 and didn't even know that SOG was selling them too since they didn't show it online. I saw the flier showing their items after I picked up the P-1 same price as AIM, but SOG didn't include the holster. Military gun supply has good deals too, but I haven't bought from them.

I have noticed that surplus dealers are a strange bunch. They seem to want to do business THEIR way regardless of how it affects their volume of sales. SARCO is a good example. They make it very, very difficult to just buy something from them with the poor phone answering/support when you call. I called 6 times to buy a pistol from them before I gave up due to crazy long on hold time each call (20 minutes or more each time!).
Last edited by steve98664 on January 27th, 2007, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buggyboat

The New SOG

Post by buggyboat »

I agree that SOG should make their catalog available to the public with a retail price shown. I still do not think they will lose business. SARCO is a good example. They sell truckloads of stuff. Their customer service is piss poor and the web site sucks. You have to realize that the guy who wants to buy a single pistol is not the target market of these places. They want to sell truckloads at a time. As a side note, AIM is a great company to deal with also.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

The New SOG

Post by bzinggg »

+1 on AIM.
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

The New SOG

Post by duggi60 »

To all the members who are upset, get a ATF C&R license good
for 3 years costing a big $30.00. Then you will get the flyer from
most of these companies once they have your copy of that
license & any passwords to see things they offer on line, plus
you can buy C&R stuff to be shipped direct to you.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

The New SOG

Post by abwehr »

Also, let me add this about the C&R license. If you have one and send a copy to Midway (the reloading folks) you can get the dealer discount and it is a pretty good discount. I have saved a bunch this way, and I order for my friend when they need stuff. Check it out at Midway if you have a license: http://www.midwayusa.com/