New to P64s and jazzed!

Info, pictures, advice...
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member
Posts: 1113
Joined: December 24th, 2011, 4:36 pm
Location: Wyoming, USA

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by Ketchman » January 1st, 2019, 10:28 pm

Yes, note that the United Defense mags seem to be designed to match the post 1974 OEM magazine's ( change to the magazine's was made that year) and do not work without modification on the pre 1974 guns. However, if you are willing to do the filing then they seem to be working reasonably well.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.

M11293
Junior member
Posts: 28
Joined: August 8th, 2018, 10:37 am

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by M11293 » January 14th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Well, I am still loving my P64.

Attached is my Polish gal dressed in her Marschal grips -my apologies if the picture is poor... I had to compress it a fair amount and yes, I blurred out the serial number. The grips truly are amazing, and given he had them ready for shipment when I purchased, they only took 10 days.

Anyway, where did all of the mags go? I only have 3. From some reading on the United Defense mags, some say 1970 is the cut off date for pistols that will accept them. I am now reading here that it is 1974.
Attachments
Webp.net-compress-image (1).jpg

Sirrus_Rider
Junior member
Posts: 36
Joined: October 12th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by Sirrus_Rider » January 15th, 2019, 12:31 pm

M11293 wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 9:42 pm
Well, I am still loving my P64.

Attached is my Polish gal dressed in her Marschal grips -my apologies if the picture is poor... I had to compress it a fair amount and yes, I blurred out the serial number. The grips truly are amazing, and given he had them ready for shipment when I purchased, they only took 10 days.

Anyway, where did all of the mags go? I only have 3. From some reading on the United Defense mags, some say 1970 is the cut off date for pistols that will accept them. I am now reading here that it is 1974.
Actually with little file work the United Defense mags can be be made to work with older pistols no problem. It's not difficult it's just inconvenient.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6964#p59861

User avatar
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member
Posts: 2484
Joined: September 20th, 2011, 11:35 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by Curly1 » January 15th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Nice grips!
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary

M11293
Junior member
Posts: 28
Joined: August 8th, 2018, 10:37 am

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by M11293 » January 15th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Sirrus_Rider wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 12:31 pm
M11293 wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 9:42 pm
Well, I am still loving my P64.

Attached is my Polish gal dressed in her Marschal grips -my apologies if the picture is poor... I had to compress it a fair amount and yes, I blurred out the serial number. The grips truly are amazing, and given he had them ready for shipment when I purchased, they only took 10 days.

Anyway, where did all of the mags go? I only have 3. From some reading on the United Defense mags, some say 1970 is the cut off date for pistols that will accept them. I am now reading here that it is 1974.
Actually with little file work the United Defense mags can be be made to work with older pistols no problem. It's not difficult it's just inconvenient.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6964#p59861
Thank you. I saw that post. I was just curious about the date cut off. Some say 1970, others say 1974.

Anyway, how much of a modification are we talking? How many millimeters were removed? And in what places?

Sirrus_Rider
Junior member
Posts: 36
Joined: October 12th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by Sirrus_Rider » January 16th, 2019, 10:43 am

M11293 wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 8:19 pm
Sirrus_Rider wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 12:31 pm
M11293 wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 9:42 pm
Well, I am still loving my P64.

Attached is my Polish gal dressed in her Marschal grips -my apologies if the picture is poor... I had to compress it a fair amount and yes, I blurred out the serial number. The grips truly are amazing, and given he had them ready for shipment when I purchased, they only took 10 days.

Anyway, where did all of the mags go? I only have 3. From some reading on the United Defense mags, some say 1970 is the cut off date for pistols that will accept them. I am now reading here that it is 1974.
Actually with little file work the United Defense mags can be be made to work with older pistols no problem. It's not difficult it's just inconvenient.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6964#p59861
Thank you. I saw that post. I was just curious about the date cut off. Some say 1970, others say 1974.

Anyway, how much of a modification are we talking? How many millimeters were removed? And in what places?
I pretty much did it by trial and error and used the mag that came with the gun as a model. It couldn't have been more that a millimeter or two. The photos pretty much tell the story as to what needs to be done.

M11293
Junior member
Posts: 28
Joined: August 8th, 2018, 10:37 am

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by M11293 » January 16th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Sirrus_Rider wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 10:43 am
M11293 wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 8:19 pm
Sirrus_Rider wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 12:31 pm


Actually with little file work the United Defense mags can be be made to work with older pistols no problem. It's not difficult it's just inconvenient.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6964#p59861
Thank you. I saw that post. I was just curious about the date cut off. Some say 1970, others say 1974.

Anyway, how much of a modification are we talking? How many millimeters were removed? And in what places?
I pretty much did it by trial and error and used the mag that came with the gun as a model. It couldn't have been more that a millimeter or two. The photos pretty much tell the story as to what needs to be done.
Cool and thanks for the informative posts. I would like to have 5-7 tried and true mags.

Really wishing I got a second P64 when CF was having their sale. Such a great pistol.

Sirrus_Rider
Junior member
Posts: 36
Joined: October 12th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by Sirrus_Rider » January 17th, 2019, 2:15 pm

M11293 wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 8:42 pm
Sirrus_Rider wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 10:43 am
M11293 wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 8:19 pm


Thank you. I saw that post. I was just curious about the date cut off. Some say 1970, others say 1974.

Anyway, how much of a modification are we talking? How many millimeters were removed? And in what places?
I pretty much did it by trial and error and used the mag that came with the gun as a model. It couldn't have been more that a millimeter or two. The photos pretty much tell the story as to what needs to be done.
Cool and thanks for the informative posts. I would like to have 5-7 tried and true mags.

Really wishing I got a second P64 when CF was having their sale. Such a great pistol.
I broke down and bought a second one, but unfortunately after Classic sold out. Luckily, I found a 75 on Gun broker for around $275 which isn't bad; however, I think that price is likely to be the new bottom.

GuitarmanNick
Member
Member
Posts: 168
Joined: March 19th, 2017, 10:04 am
Location: Maryland

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by GuitarmanNick » January 17th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Based upon posts I have seen here and on other forums, I am glad to have gotten a second 1971 from Classic when I did. They are both completely refurbished and only 416 apart in serial numbers. The last one is absolutely perfect with not a mark on it! Now, this was supposed to be primarily a parts gun to insure my first p-64 stays healthy, but it is just too pretty!

Although I wasn't planning on it, now I am keeping an eye out for one that is not so nice to keep these guns healthy! :)

I am also glad to have picked up some spare magazines from Classic right after I got my first P-64. I could always use more and may try some of the United Defense mags in the near future. Looks like they should work okay in my guns. If not, I have a Dremel!(famous last words)

M11293
Junior member
Posts: 28
Joined: August 8th, 2018, 10:37 am

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by M11293 » January 18th, 2019, 9:24 pm

You two are smarter than I...

I was thinking of the same thing after I fell in love with my Polish lady. One for parts, one for love. Yet, they are such great pistols, and they are only going to go up in value (such is true for the entire surplus arms market), so two nice ones would be worth it.

I would really like to have a more used P64 though. It would make a great camping pistol, or something you could hide in your car. Some say 20 oz is too heavy to carry, but I think I would take a P64 over a Ruger LCP any day. I like all steel pistols. Hornady's FTX 9 mm Mak performance is pretty stellar too.

User avatar
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member
Posts: 2484
Joined: September 20th, 2011, 11:35 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by Curly1 » January 19th, 2019, 3:00 pm

You guys may also want to pick up a P83 also.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary

GuitarmanNick
Member
Member
Posts: 168
Joined: March 19th, 2017, 10:04 am
Location: Maryland

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by GuitarmanNick » January 20th, 2019, 9:12 am

I would like to have one Curly, but living in Marylandistan, a special license is required to buy "regulated firearms"(handguns) which the state uses as a handgun registry. Being a freedom loving patriot, I refuse to comply so I can only purchase C&R handguns for now.

In a few more years, some will be eligible and can be added to my collection.

User avatar
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter
Posts: 666
Joined: March 13th, 2010, 9:14 pm
Location: Nothing permanent.

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by Weasel640 » January 20th, 2019, 11:53 am

GuitarmanNick wrote:
January 20th, 2019, 9:12 am
I would like to have one Curly, but living in Marylandistan, a special license is required to buy "regulated firearms"(handguns) which the state uses as a handgun registry. Being a freedom loving patriot, I refuse to comply so I can only purchase C&R handguns for now.

In a few more years, some will be eligible and can be added to my collection.
I would get a P83 now. Then get a second one when/if they are made C&R. That way at least you have the one. P-64s are really starting to dry up (I think for good this time), wouldn't want that to happen before you get a P-83. Plus they are almost as fun to shoot as the P-64.

Also you'll be missing out on the MAG-98. Holding out on non-C&R really only hurts your inventory.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.

User avatar
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member
Posts: 2484
Joined: September 20th, 2011, 11:35 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by Curly1 » January 20th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Here is a past discussion and link to a very in depth review of the P83.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5759
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary

User avatar
shinerjohn
Member
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: December 7th, 2008, 11:53 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by shinerjohn » January 24th, 2019, 12:46 am

M11293 wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 8:19 pm
I was just curious about the date cut off. Some say 1970, others say 1974.
I have a 1965 that is the old style and a 1972 that is the new style. So 1974 isn't the cutoff date.

Post Reply