Monarch

All things ammo related.
BeardedSailor

Monarch

Post by BeardedSailor »

Good morning, everyone. Has anyone had good or not so good experiences with the Monarch brand? I have found them stocked at my "local" Academy Sports for something like $10.99. I have only fired about half a box so far, but no misfeeds or failures to fire. They are also offered on-line with free shipping with a qualifying purchase. Offered bullets specs are 94gr, steel, FMJ, manufacturer Barnaul/Russia. Are these lacquered? Would the box say so? From what I have read, I take it zinc coated is worse than lacquer coated? Picked up a P64 from 1974 in great condition. Loving this pistol so far. Changed the springs (Wolff 18 hammer and 22 recoil) to reduce the trigger weight in DA. Huge difference. A hearty thanks to everyone. I appreciate the great ideas and assistance on this site.
tech 1

Re: Monarch

Post by tech 1 »

It's lacquered, I have a lot of it and shoot it with no problems
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Oh Bearded One, (sorry, had to do that)
I have shot a lot of Brown Bear laquered rounds, Wolf polymer coated and Silver Bear zinc plated and have had no problems with any of them. Personally I prefer the zinc plated Silver Bear for the reason that it not only protects from corrosion it also aids in feeding because it is slicker than the other 2 coatings. I also like the fact that the coating is electroplated on instead of sprayed on which means better adheasion to me. But that is just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like right? I hope this helps some Bearded Sailor.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
BeardedSailor

Post by BeardedSailor »

Thanks Tech 1 and Ketchman. I like the idea of inexpensive ammo for the range. Don't we all. Pretty sure it won't get much cheaper than $10.99. My guns get a thorough scrubbing after each outing, so the idea of lacquer buildup doesn't bother me too much. Ketchman, I was under the "illusion perhaps" that the zinc would act more like an abrasive and so would possibly hinder the feed, especially toward the end of the day. Sounds like I will be looking into various brands/types of coatings. Thanks for the advice guys.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Bearded Sailor,
Silver Bear ammo cases are zinc plated for corrosion resistance but also as an aid to feeding as, if I am correct, because zinc is a fairly soft metal it provides a certain amount of lubricity especially as the steel of the gun is so much harder, thereby making chambering and, more importantly, extraction that much easier. If anyone out there knows me to be wrong please tell me.
BeardedSailor

Post by BeardedSailor »

Thanks, Ketchman. I am going to check out Silver Bear. Do you have a favorite defense round? I hear the name Hornady Critical Defense pretty often. Thanks for the insight on the Silver Bear zinc.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I use the Hornady myself. However, I have used the Silver Bear hollopoint ammo and would not hesitate to carry it again in the future. I have tested their rounds in water myself and been fairly impressed, especially for a low cost round. You can find testing of their stuff on You Tube. I know watef is not ballistics get but given that the human body is what enourmous % water...........?
cavtrpr340

Post by cavtrpr340 »

It's good target ammo. works fine in my 1973 P-64 & 1983 bulgie Mak.
gradles21

Post by gradles21 »

Has anyone tried out the monarch hollow points for their p64? Found them for $15 for a box of 50 at academy.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk