New Member with a P64 question

Info, pictures, advice...
jlr2267

New Member with a P64 question

Post by jlr2267 »

Hello to all. This is my first post as a new member. I found this site through a link from THR, and I'm glad I did. Looks like all the common problems/questions have been covered thoroughly.

One thing I have not been able to find is a decent rubber grip for the P64. I have left my P64 all stock, springs and all, but I'm going to have to find some soft grips for this thing...anyone know what works well? I saw reference to Zee grips but couldn't find anywhere to buy?

All suggestions are appreciated.

Almost forgot....mine is a '74 year of manufacture, nice deep blue with slight holster wear. Looks to have been carried but fired very little.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: New Member with a P64 question

Post by Weasel640 »

Some people use Pearce, Hogue Handall Jr., Uncle Mike's, ktaddons, Limbsaver, or Pachmayr #3 rubber grips, also even a cut up bicycle inner tube.

Some people also get the Marschal grips. These are wood grips that you can get extended to cove the mag and/or with a beaver tail. They are a little thicker so the felt recoil is spread out more.

There is also a new type of moldable rap around rubber grip that's out there. I forget what it's called but its fully customizable and reusable. It's used on bows for archers as well.

So you have a few options if you search the forum by the names I've mentioned you'll find people giving feedback about each one.

Regarding the Zee grips, the are not any softer. They are however made to order with color combos swirled together. So some people like to church their P-64 up with them, purely for aesthetics.

Also why not upgrade your springs? The springs are easily swapped. If you want to put the stock springs back in it's not hard. Some will tell you it does not make a difference. But I can really feel a difference, and if you shoot allot I think you'll feel it too. Also recoil springs after time will wear out. Continual shooting with a worn out recoil spring can damage the firearm. That is why the make replacement recoil springs to begin with.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

OK I found the moldable grip I was trying to think of. They are called RAT Grips. You heat them and form fit / texturize how you want.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRbdtc0cLVg
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
jlr2267

Post by jlr2267 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I may try the RAT grips. I'll post pics if they work
neth

Post by neth »

+1 for the Hogue Jr slip on. Cheap and non-permanent. I've had zero issues.
jlr2267

Post by jlr2267 »

Got the Hogue Jr today and put it on (not easy). Grip feels much better, hopefully it will be more comfy to shoot too. Thanks for the advice.
speters

Post by speters »

I've been using the Hogue Jr and it's been great. Cheap, effective and that's a good mix.
pirateye

Post by pirateye »

Easy install tip: Stretch the grip then spray the interior with Rem oil or other favorite gun oil. Slip on the grip. You can adjust, twist and turn it to your desired fit. On top of that, it will not rust like using soapy suds.
Gun control is hitting your target.
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Welcome. I use the hogue jr. rubber grip on mine and it's just right after some slipping and trimming. I also have some beautiful tiger wood Marschal grips for mine that I LOVED. It improved my shot placement by at least 40% BUT, because it was so wide it made it very difficult to conceal so sadly they had to come off and go back in the box. The rubber grip took some getting used to but all is fine now. My advice to you would be to get the spring kit for your gun. That small recoil spring not only makes it snappier to shoot but with today’s higher powered ammunition, it can cause a lot of unnecessary wear and tear on your weapon. They are a cheap investment. The P 64 is a fine, well made weapon and, fed the proper ammunition it's a man stopper. I'll stack mine up against a 38 special any day of the week. I refused to carry anything but a revolver all during my 20+ year in law enforcement because I just didn't trust auto loaders. This is now ALL that I carry. Keep it clean, and be sure to clean and lightly oil the insides of the mags as well, EVERY time you shoot it and it won't let you down. A blow back pistol blows a lot of crud down the open top of that magazine. Again welcome, these guys can tell you anything you want to know.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Good advice, and knock on wood, never had any malfunction of any kind on the P64, have fired hundreds of rounds through it. I've slowed down with it to conserve ammo and avoid wearing on it too much, and mostly plink .22's now.