I just bought my first P64

Info, pictures, advice...
trustingman62

I just bought my first P64

Post by trustingman62 »

:D Hello my name is Phil and I am in Round Rock Texas. I just scored my first p64 on an aution site and I can't wait to get it. Since I had never heard of the gun before I have been eating up all I can find online both in forums and youtubes. I can't wait for the pistol to get here. I know most of you have known about the gun for many years now. I am so glad I was able to get one before the surplus is all gone. I have read about the "Snappy recoil" and the fix being a heavier recoil spring from Wolf Gun springs and I have also read of the heavy hammer spring that can also be changed out. I have a couple of questions about these two fixes. First if I change the recoil spring to the 22lb. spring would there be a chance that this action would cause jams? Is that why several weights of springs are offered? So you can find the middle ground? Find the weight that reduces recoil while still retaining the guns reliabity? Will chaning the heavey hammer spring to a 17 cause the firing pin not to ignite the primer? Give me some advise as far as negitives and positives for performing these two mods. What weights do you all like in these two springs? Also where can I buy a nice grip for the pistol without spending a large amount for hand carved? Lastly what ammo do you perfer and where is it available? I sent off for a C&R license and once I receive it I hope there are more of these guns still available to buy. Thanks for all your help. Phil
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: I just bought my first P64

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Phil,

I have the 22lb recoil and 17lb hammer springs and have no problems.

The Wolff spring set will probably include a stronger firing pin spring you can install if primer strikes become a problem.

Good luck and show us some pics of your new prize.
Last edited by Curly1 on February 3rd, 2013, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
trustingman62

Post by trustingman62 »

Thank you.
SalemCat

Post by SalemCat »

The ATF just took $30 from my account Feb 2nd, so it may be a few weeks before my C&R arrives. But like most folks, I'm doing some preliminary shopping.

I hope your P64 is real clean !

Where did you buy it, and how much ? If it's none of my business, that's cool.
trustingman62

Post by trustingman62 »

I just saw in my bank account that that they took 30 from mine too. I won the guy on gunbroker from Soviern gun for $261.00 plus shipping.
SalemCat

Post by SalemCat »

trustingman62 wrote:I just saw in my bank account that that they took 30 from mine too. I won the guy on gunbroker from Soviern gun for $261.00 plus shipping.
Sounds good !

The "old-timers" will tell us that they were going for $199 or less not too long ago, but we missed that boat.
trustingman62

Post by trustingman62 »

Yes I wished I would have caught one then but oh well. Mine is listed as "very good" condition. I hope it is the case.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Just a bit of bragging here even if I am not an old timer. I got mine last spring for $169.00 + shipping. I am sorry those days are gone. However, the fact that P-64's are still available is good. enjoy them and range reports are required here!
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
trustingman62

Post by trustingman62 »

Wow I wish they were still that cheap. I have got some ammo coming also so as soon as it all gets here I will be off to the range.
trustingman62

Post by trustingman62 »

Wow I finally got to shoot my p64 and at 25 yards the thing shoots wonderful. It was putting holes inside holes on the Target with 109 fmj wolf. It was my first time shooting it so I know I'll get better but it really surprised me.
Attachments
IMAG0484.jpg
P64inDixie

Post by P64inDixie »

Hey Phil, congratulations on the purchase. If you're like us, you'll become an addict pretty quick.