Question about Recoil Springs

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
sksman

Question about Recoil Springs

Post by sksman »

So, newb question number 1. What spring weight would you recommend for the recoil spring? I'm doing the 18lb for the hammer spring, but not so sure about the recoil one...Thanks in advance!
I'll admit it, I'm a Commie arms lover.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Question about Recoil Springs

Post by juniustaylor »

It's really not necessary to change the recoil spring and it won't change much. However, FWIW, I have the 20# recoil spring with a 17# hammer spring and I don't have any issues. Lots of folks use the 18# spring on the hammer and like it. 17 just felt better to me than the 18. Did you shoot it yet with the original recoil spring and not like it? You can try the 20 or 22# but I'm not sure what kind of felt recoil reduction you'll get out of them.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
sksman

Post by sksman »

Ah, I thought you HAD to change the recoil spring as well. I have not fired stock yet, as it's on the little brown truck getting ever so closer to me as we speak lol. I plan on buying the hammer spring pack from Wolff. That way I have a few options.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

There is some "information" around the internet about these guns firing some sort of 70'ish grain bullet. However, even the original Polish P-64 manual (not the D.R. Morse special), but the legit manual. In the manual they equate the cartridge bullet as being 6 grams which is about 93 grains. Not 71 that other resources show. It's not a mandatory item. Some folks do it because they're duped into the lie about it being designed for a 71 grain bullet and thinking the "extra" power of a standard 95 grain bullet is going to harm the pistol in some way so they think they need a more powerful spring. If anything, it slightly reduces recoil, but not enough to justify the cost of the spring. Hope this helps.
sksman

Post by sksman »

That helped a lot, thanks!
enbarnes

Post by enbarnes »

i just installed an 18-lb mainspring and a 22-lb recoil spring (Wolff). The new mainspring lightens the DA pull until it is usable, but i wish I had ordered the 17-lb. SA pull is very light now, but I like it that way.
I haven't noticed any difference in recoil with a 22-lb recoil spring though.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

sksman, PM me your address and I'll send you the 18# spring I have. I had bought one cheap from another feller on here to see how I liked it compared to my 17# spring. You can see how much I liked the 17# over the 18#. There is nothing wrong with it, just personal preference. It does make the SA trigger pull pretty darn light as enbarnes had mentioned. But I like it that way. Anyway, if you want the spring, feel free to have it. Just let me know your address. That way you don't have to buy one from Wolff, wait 2 weeks just to get the darn thing. I still think the recoil spring is a waste and it appears enbarnes feels the same way.
sksman

Post by sksman »

Wow! Thanks a lot, I really, really appreciate it! PM inbound!
peter2011

Post by peter2011 »

Need to know if the 22 is longr or short. From the original.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

They're right about the same length. Difference is the wire the spring is made from on the 22# will be thicker than that of the factory recoil spring. Being that it is thicker, it is sometimes necessary for the user to have to file the ends flat so that it will work with the pistol and allow you to install and remove the slide.
lwb64

Post by lwb64 »

I installed the 18 and the 20 pound springs and wish I would have went with the 17. As for the 20 pound recoil spring, I haven't seen any improvement with the recoil, if I had it to do again I would have left the stock recoil spring in it.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I agree with lwb64. I love the 17# mainspring. Recoil decreased with the 20# recoil spring isn't worth the cost.
Gary2112

Post by Gary2112 »

Since we are talking springs... Wolff ships a firing pin spring with the recoil spring. If the heavier firing pin spring is installed, would it be OK to switch back to the stock recoil spring without changing the firing pin spring back to stock?

I kept all of my original springs in case I ever wanted to make the gun stock again.
If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Gary, it would be fine to put the stock recoil spring back on and still leave the replacement firing pin spring in place. The purpose of the firing pin spring is that it gets the firing pin retracted into the bolt face quicker because it has more power. This reduces an incident of getting striation marks (firing pin scratches across primer as the case ejects). This in turn reduces the chance of a broken firing pin.
Gary2112

Post by Gary2112 »

Junius,

Thanks for clearing that up. It's good information, and I'm sure that question would have come up eventually. If it hasn't already in the past.
If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.