Thought it was a "Makarov".

Info, pictures, advice...
GeneCC

Thought it was a "Makarov".

Post by GeneCC »

I don't mind - it's not a bad pistol. I'll just get a "real" Makarov some other time.

I carry a Ruger LCP and/or SW Airweight for CC. I have several Russian Ex-Pat colleagues and thought it would be fun to buy a "Russian" handgun.

Already ordered new springs from Wolff (I did the same for the Ruger) and some ammo.

Gene
PA-Joe

Re: Thought it was a "Makarov".

Post by PA-Joe »

Well was it a PA-63, P-64 or CZ82?
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

P-64. One mag, no box.

The store called it a "Makarov". I'm gonna bug 'em about that because it's no more a Makarov than a Tantal is a Kalashnikov.

Nice pistol just the same.

Gene
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

GeneCC wrote:P-64. One mag, no box.

The store called it a "Makarov". I'm gonna bug 'em about that because it's no more a Makarov than a Tantal is a Kalashnikov.

Gene
Eh, a tantal is much more of a kalashnikov than a p-64 is a makarov. The P-64 and makarov don't share a single part. The p-64 is a pp derivative, and the makarov is more of a clean sheet design influenced by the pp.

P-64 is a good gun though, although if you want a russian designed pistol, you need a Mak.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

Legally Armed wrote:
GeneCC wrote:P-64. One mag, no box.

Gene
Eh, a tantal is much more of a kalashnikov than a p-64 is a makarov. The P-64 and makarov don't share a single part. The p-64 is a pp derivative, and the makarov is more of a clean sheet design influenced by the pp.

P-64 is a good gun though, although if you want a russian designed pistol, you need a Mak.
My point is that the store would call a Tantal a "Tantal" and not an AK-47. For some perverse reason the P-64, because it shoots a 9x18 round is magically a "makarov" or a "Polish Makarov".

I like my P-64. It gets more range time than my Makarov.

Gene
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

GeneCC wrote:For some perverse reason the P-64, because it shoots a 9x18 round is magically a "makarov" or a "Polish Makarov".
It's the same "perverse" reason that led to folks calling a "38" any revolver which fired the .38 Special round.

It's dirt common, even still today, for people to refer to handguns generically by the caliber they chamber. Heck, gansta rap still talks about idiots with their "9."

And do you really want to get started on the "magazine" vs "clip" thing?

Your best bet concerning the Makarov issue is just to go, "OK" and go on with life.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Around here...any carbonated drink is called a "coke".....
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

lklawson wrote:Your best bet concerning the Makarov issue is just to go, "OK" and go on with life.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
You're right, Kirk. My P-64 has grown on me. It's a nice little handgun.

The Only Sarge wrote:Around here...any carbonated drink is called a "coke".....
[/quote]

You must be in the South. Up here it's called "Pop".