donnerwetter58

Reloading the 9x18

Post by donnerwetter58 »

The best collection of 9x18 load data I have found is at www.handloads.com
Check them out.
justplainbill

Reloading the 9x18

Post by justplainbill »

Thanks Norm. I have Titegroup powder from loading 380 acp and used 3gn of it behind a 93gn LRN from Roger's Better Bullets and CCI 500 small pistol primers. The load was plenty hot enough to fire form the cases but 3 of the first 15 didn't go bang and 2 others I had to hit twice. I have since been told that I probably didn't get the primers completely seated. How do you seat your primers?
jpb

NORMSUTTON wrote:jpb
just use loading data on the 9 x 18 data by weight of the bullet , i use 4 grns of W231 be hind a 100.9 sized to .636 grain lead bullet and 4 grns of Unique for the same bullet, sorry I don't use Bulleye or any other powder

NORM
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading the 9x18

Post by normsutton »

justplainbill wrote:Thanks Norm. I have Titegroup powder from loading 380 acp and used 3gn of it behind a 93gn LRN from Roger's Better Bullets and CCI 500 small pistol primers. The load was plenty hot enough to fire form the cases but 3 of the first 15 didn't go bang and 2 others I had to hit twice. I have since been told that I probably didn't get the primers completely seated. How do you seat your primers?
jpb

NORMSUTTON wrote:jpb
just use loading data on the 9 x 18 data by weight of the bullet , i use 4 grns of W231 be hind a 100.9 sized to .636 grain lead bullet and 4 grns of Unique for the same bullet, sorry I don't use Bulleye or any other powder

NORM
justplainbill

here is an on online manual http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

to seat primers I uses my reloading press , never like though's hand held things , hear to many bad things about them exploding and all the primer go off at one time, never been too crazy over CCI primers , always like Winchesters, some 9 mm brass has a military crimp on the primer pockets witch makes hard to put primers in , to take out the crimp I put a counter sink in a drill
and then drill them out

I do this to all 9 mm , 45 acp, 223 ,308, 30/06 cases makes it a lot easer to load

don't shoot 380 bullets in a 9 x 18

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on February 8th, 2009, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dusty62

Reloading the 9x18

Post by dusty62 »

I used to reload for my 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser but that was years and years ago. You guys got me jonesin' to get a press and start going at it for my P64 now. Sheesh . . . I'm gonna have to take a second job to support all these hobbies. Ha ha. But, in the long run, reloading is fun and does cut the cost of buying factory ammo all the time. I'm looking forward to getting some gear and getting started.

dus'
donnerwetter58

Reloading the 9x18

Post by donnerwetter58 »

With the high ammo prices and current shortages, a lot of people are turning towards reloading.
The reloading component market is victim of the buying frenzy also. Try to find common powders, primers and bullets these days. Even presses and other equipment is often back ordered.
Hope some day this will all blow over and things will return to normal.....whatever that once was.
electross

Reloading the 9x18

Post by electross »

With some advice form donnerwetter58 I have been looking into re-loading. I have a line or two on some used equipment but it seems as if everything I try to mail order is back ordered. I mentioned using 9mm Luger brass and cutting it down to use for 9X18 and another guy didn't think it could be done. I used a cheap set of mic's this morning and it looks like it could be done. I know I have read that some of you do this. How hard is the actual bullet to get right now? Some components seem available but others you don't stand a chance in seeing them shipped for weeks possibly months. No preasure here fellows but times are a little hectic since election. By the way, thanks for all the advice donnerwetter 58. Still want to catch up to you and try a little re-loading.
brianintheup

Reloading the 9x18

Post by brianintheup »

electross

I am currently shooting trimmed down 9mm brass. I don't have any fancy tools. I used lee's case trimmer for the 9X18 and my cordless drill. I trimmed down several 100 cases. There are several places to get cast bullets as well as jacketed bullets. I am currently looking into getting some cast bullets through www.betterbullets.com. I use a lee reloading press with lee carbide dies. Make sure you get carbide dies to reload with so you don't have to mess with case lube. You can get complete reloading kits from anywhere between 100 and 250 dollars. stock up on components and have a ball.

brianintheup
dusty62

Reloading the 9x18

Post by dusty62 »

I have a friend & member of my church who is also a PI. He reloads for all of his firearms. I was chatting with him after services today and he told me he had a bunch of 9mm cast projectiles that he would let me have. He said that they were all cast to .366. I am certainly considering taking him up on it. He said he had several hundred that he wasn't going to use. Now to get the rest of the equipment and I can start going with it.

dus'
brianintheup

Reloading the 9x18

Post by brianintheup »

dusty62

If they are cast to .366 your in business. If you can get the molds as well that would be a plus. You can use an old Colman camp stove and a lead pot with some wheel weights and cast hundreds of bullets. I am sure if the guy used to cast bullets he could fill you in.
electross

Reloading the 9x18

Post by electross »

This is a good post, I have been collecting wheel weights with casting my own in mind. I have a brother that works in a car dealership and of course he gets me all the lead I want. Now, if I just had the rest of the stuff......See you guys. Have fun.
dwd

Reloading the 9x18

Post by dwd »

I see that buggyboat and donnerwetter use a Dillion press. Is that the best? I have a RCBS press but I am considering getting something else. I was researching something on Makarov.com today and saw a picture of a 550 posted, is that an endorsement?
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
donnerwetter58

Reloading the 9x18

Post by donnerwetter58 »

I have an RCBS Rockchucker I've had for 28 years. It has loaded thousands of rounds of all types. At this point I use it for bottleneck rifle cartridges. It is slow but you have good "feel" of the operations performed on it.
On the other hand, my Dillon RL-550B has been around 15 years.
I use it for handgun cartridges. Many people use them for rifle cartridges as well. The Dillon will spit out large quantities in short order. Once you get the hang of it, a properly set up Dillon will realistically put out 300 to 400 rounds per hour.
The Dillon has interchangeable tool heads. You change assembled tool heads, not individual dies. No need to readjust dies. You can change to a different cartridge by swapping tool heads and the shell plate and alignment buttons on the ram. The Dillon products are covered by the best warranty in the business.
Both of my presses have their place but if I could only have one it would be the Dillon. I'm sure these two presses will outlast me.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading the 9x18

Post by normsutton »

dwd

donnerwetter58 is right

I have a used RCBS Rockchucker press I just bought a bout 2 years ago before that I had a Hornady multi power C I had use it since 1973 the only reason I switch is the Hornady couldn't take a one inch die so I couldn't load the 577/450 Martini round, for a single stage press RCBS Rockchucker press has my vote, for a progressive press , Dillon makes the best even though I don't own one ( IMHO )
if you are not going to load any that take a one inch die buy a Lyman kit its much more expensive than a Lee but cheaper than a RCBS and it will last you a life time and you can always get your money out of it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
brianintheup

Reloading the 9x18

Post by brianintheup »

I was given a lee kit. The hand primer is nice. The scales are junk and the powder measurer is less than to be desired. The press in nice and I like the quick change feature. When I buy a press it will probably be a turret press. If I were to get a kit I would have to agree with Norm go with the lyman kit.

Brian
dusty62

Reloading the 9x18

Post by dusty62 »

brianintheup wrote:dusty62

If they are cast to .366 your in business. If you can get the molds as well that would be a plus. You can use an old Colman camp stove and a lead pot with some wheel weights and cast hundreds of bullets. I am sure if the guy used to cast bullets he could fill you in.
Yeah, I can't wait to get to chat with him some more and go check out his set up. I'll be sure to ask him about molds. Thanks.

I also used to work at a car dealership and the GM is a good friend of mine so getting my hands on some weights shouldn't be a major problem. I'll check on that, too, once I have a basic set up going here.

dus'