1st time popin off the POLE!

Info, pictures, advice...
ipsd

Post by ipsd »

Had the day off today so I went over to my buddies house. We've been working on a shooting targetholder/Backstop. We got that done! Nice and simple he lives outta town and has 2 acres. We took an oak pallet and made a stand to hold it up. Then we cut 2"x4"s and slid them down inside the pallet. We wedged and screwed them in place. Next we added another layer of 2"x4"s on the back side of the pallet and screwed them in place. Then for added protection we screwed some "guessing 18-20ga" stainless steel thicker sheet metal on top of the 2by's. There is foam inside the stainless back plate. "Old ice machine scraps" So we left some air gaps in between the layers of 2by's thinking that would help the bullet expand and slow down more. We go the sides and top buttoned up so nothing would come flying out the air gaps.

Now time for the fun! since I bought my P64 hadn't got to shoot it yet. With our new mini shooting range we set out to test it out just to get an idea of what the back stop would do and what to expect outta my "new/used" Pole P64-ZAK. Delta setup a target and told me to let ZAK "bitch at the trespassers" test out the new back stop and my toy. So I let him BITCH and COMPLAIN.
Here are the results of his first 9 remarks
Not to bad for 25-30 feet and my first time to shot a handgun in over 10 years.

These are the three bullets and five casings we recovered. Those three bullets were stopped buy the stainless. I did take ultra fine scotchbrite to the casings and two of the bullets but left one untouched to show how little it did to them two others made it all the way trough and the others got stuck in the wood. All at 25-30 feet. As for my P64-ZAK I love it. Plan to get another one soon. Nice and snappy but still nothing like my .38specail.

Thanks
Stuckman
Last edited by ipsd on February 3rd, 2009, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dusty62

Post by dusty62 »

Nice shooting for the first time in a decade! I like the backstop you made, too. I sure sometimes wish I weren't livin' within the city limits up here. Sure would make shootin' a heck of a lot easier. But, then again, takin' the time to go to the local range also lets me get in some socialization time. Ha ha. No, really, though. I like the full on description of the construction of your backstop. I hope you've gotten many more rounds pumped into it since this post of yours.

dus'