Pitting and Rust

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
mattwestm

Pitting and Rust

Post by mattwestm »

Hi guys, fairly new P64 owner here. I got mine on gunbroker for $180 + shipping/FFL fees. Anyways, there is a bit of pitting on the frame, just above the trigger and a bit of surface rust. Is the pitting normal? And how do I remove the rust?

Thanks
piaggior
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Pitting and Rust

Post by piaggior »

I haven't seen a lot of P64's with much pitting, but as long as you take care of the rust, you should be alright. I always use CLP with some #000 steel wool to remove the rust. I've never had a problem with the super fine steel wool removing blueing, but you could use bronze wool, if you're worried.
hvacken

Post by hvacken »

Can you post some pics?
mattwestm

Post by mattwestm »

Here is a pic of the frame with slight pitting: http://imgur.com/PXnlG.jpg

Also, how do I remove the trigger? There is a bit of liquid rust (mix of oil and rust) that appears on top of the trigger each time I pull it. There isn't really any rust on the frame, just inside the trigger mechanism that I can't get access and inside the grooves of the notches for pulling back the slide. I probably could have found a P64 in better condition, but from the pictures on gunbroker, it looked fine. The bore is in great condition though.
soram

Post by soram »

mattwestm wrote:Here is a pic of the frame with slight pitting: http://imgur.com/PXnlG.jpg

Also, how do I remove the trigger? There is a bit of liquid rust (mix of oil and rust) that appears on top of the trigger each time I pull it. There isn't really any rust on the frame, just inside the trigger mechanism that I can't get access and inside the grooves of the notches for pulling back the slide. I probably could have found a P64 in better condition, but from the pictures on gunbroker, it looked fine. The bore is in great condition though.
WOW! :shock: I've bought three p64s, all of them from J&G sales (no hand select) and have never had one with pitting like you showed. :evil:

I did have one that upon seeing it wanted to send back from it's horrible condition; but, after totally disassembling it (every part--see here for your answer on removing the trigger), soaking in diesel fuel overnight, and re-assembling it, I couldn't have been happier! A little bit of Casey Cold Bluing with a Q-tip several times and it looked like an unissued pistol!

Good luck, though. With the link here you can't go wrong. The manual is an assembly manual, but you can work backwards (like I did) to dis-assemble it and/or just do the trigger assembly.

If that doesn't work, ask again and Norm, or Dick, or one of our other distinguished members will be more than happy to fill in the blanks that I missed in answering your questions! :D

Ross
mattwestm

Post by mattwestm »

I've heard of using diesel fuel to remove cosmoline. I've also heard of people using mineral spirits or paint thinner. If I soak in one of those, how do I remove the chemical?

Edit: Also, I don't see how to disassemble the trigger in the manual. I'm assuming you pop out the pin first, but I can't seem to get it out all the way.
soram

Post by soram »

mattwestm wrote:I've heard of using diesel fuel to remove cosmoline. I've also heard of people using mineral spirits or paint thinner. If I soak in one of those, how do I remove the chemical?

Edit: Also, I don't see how to disassemble the trigger in the manual. I'm assuming you pop out the pin first, but I can't seem to get it out all the way.
I always just rinse the fuel off with water and dry with a towel. But, be quick with the oil--it WILL start to rust almost immediately.

To remove your trigger, start with page 53 and work backwards to page 47 in the new assembly manual.

Ross
mattwestm

Post by mattwestm »

Do you guys suggest keeping the P64 or selling this one for one in better condition? There is a bit of rust and pitting on the hammer and on the back of the slide that I can't seem to get off.
soram

Post by soram »

mattwestm wrote:Do you guys suggest keeping the P64 or selling this one for one in better condition? There is a bit of rust and pitting on the hammer and on the back of the slide that I can't seem to get off.
I don't think any of us can make an honest opinion without seeing several more pictures posted here from several angles.

If it's your only P64 and you can't/won't clean it up like I posted above, then maybe. If it's one of two or more I'd say keep it. But without more pics I can't honestly say. These guns clean up real nicely with a little time, patience, and TLC.

After all, the ONLY plastic in them is in the grips!

Ross
hangfire

Post by hangfire »

mattwestm wrote:Do you guys suggest keeping the P64 or selling this one for one in better condition? There is a bit of rust and pitting on the hammer and on the back of the slide that I can't seem to get off.
If your P64 is one of two or more and it's mechanically sound I'd consider hanging on to it, as the previous poster suggested, and making it a carry gun. You obviously wouldn't need to worry about dings, scratches and the usual wear and tear. My "ugly duckling" (and best shooter) P64, an early date round hammer, is one of my everyday carry guns.
mattwestm

Post by mattwestm »

My P64 is the only P64 I've ever owned. It is indeed my primary CCW. I soaked the gun in mineral spirits overnight and oiled everything well and it looks a lot better. There is still some rust that I can't seem to tackle, but its manageable now. I consider it a "tool" and my tools for working on my car are all pretty dirty, but they work as they should.