Magnaporting a P-64

Info, pictures, advice...
lcberlin

Magnaporting a P-64

Post by lcberlin »

Was just wondering if anyone had done this to their P-64, or even considered it before now. I am thinking hard about having it done to one of mine, just cause I can.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Magnaporting a P-64

Post by carguy »

Do I hear a new trend starting?????????

Could it be a way to minimize that crazy recoil??????????

Sounds like a plan...need an update, since you can, when you do. ;D
drogers

Magnaporting a P-64

Post by drogers »

Wouldn't the barrel have to extend beyond the slide to do this?
Don
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Magnaporting a P-64

Post by beasleydano »

Wouldn't the barrel have to extend beyond the slide to do this?
Don
Not necessarily. The pistols that I have had Mag-na-Ported had the cuts in the slide and barrel.
lcberlin

Magnaporting a P-64

Post by lcberlin »

Yeah, what he said.

According to their website, it is called 'autoporting' and funny shapes are cut into the slide and barrel near the end. I have an email out to them to see if there is any issues in porting a P-64, just waiting for a reply.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Magnaporting a P-64

Post by beasleydano »

Yeah, what he said.

According to their website, it is called 'autoporting' and funny shapes are cut into the slide and barrel near the end. I have an email out to them to see if there is any issues in porting a P-64, just waiting for a reply.
You are right about their terminology. I forgot about that. "Mag-na-Port" for revolvers and rifles, "Auto-Port" for semi-auto pistols, "Pro-Port" for shotguns. I had a .45 Colt pistol and a Remington 870 12 gauge riot gun done. Felt recoil was reduced considerably. IMHO, unless you are very recoil sensitive I would not spend the bucks to do it to a P-64.
lcberlin

Magnaporting a P-64

Post by lcberlin »

Money is money, some got more cash then brains...

Even so, I think that with a Wolff 22lb recoil spring, Dennis grips in the "new" style, and an autoport job by Magnaport, would make the pistol downright comfortable to shoot. I got this for my carry pistol, so I would like to make all efforts possible to have it be a good shooter.

Just some info about me....this is the first centerfire handgun I have owned. Not the first I have shot on a regular basis, just the first that is mine. I have many rimfire handguns, mainly S&W semi autos. I don't intend to turn the P-64 into a range plinker, just tame it a bit more.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Magnaporting a P-64

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I have no doubt it would decrease the felt recoil, I'm guessing they would port the pistol at 1/4 to approx 3/4 inch down the length of the barrel from the crown and that might decrease the velocity between 75 to 100 fps or more. Foot pounds of energy could be reduced by up to 20%+ . Along with vectoring compensation it could feel like shooting a 32S&W out of a 21.5oz revolver, could be pretty nice. The only problem may be insufficient recoil to cycle the slide unless you used a lighter recoil spring, Norm could answer those questions.
Heck, I say go for it, I can't wait to see how it turns out. Keep us informed about what they tell you at magnaport.
G.R. :)
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Magnaporting a P-64

Post by beasleydano »

Money is money, some got more cash then brains...

Even so, I think that with a Wolff 22lb recoil spring, Dennis grips in the "new" style, and an autoport job by Magnaport, would make the pistol downright comfortable to shoot. I got this for my carry pistol, so I would like to make all efforts possible to have it be a good shooter.

Just some info about me....this is the first centerfire handgun I have owned. Not the first I have shot on a regular basis, just the first that is mine. I have many rimfire handguns, mainly S&W semi autos. I don't intend to turn the P-64 into a range plinker, just tame it a bit more.
Sounds as though you have made up your mind. Go for it! Please let us know about the results.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Magnaporting a P-64

Post by trent »

I bet it'l increase the resale value as well
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Magnaporting a P-64

Post by carguy »

I think it is an awesome idea. The only concern as gunnyrabbit mentioned would be a dramatic reduction in recoil.

If you do the auto-porting then hold off on the 22# recoil spring for 2 reasons. First, many P-64s have simply had issues using the 22# spring...I know I have one stuck in my parts bag that I can't use as it keeps binding up and keeping the slide open until I beat it with a rubber mallet to return to full battery. I love the felt recoil with the 22# spring...when it did work. Second, if the 22# spring does cycle properly without issue then the combination of that and the porting may limit proper cycling as the recoil may be insufficient.

Try the spring first then with the porting and finally with the original spring/ported.

I can't wait to see the look once ported...I think it will really look cool 8-)
lcberlin

Magnaporting a P-64

Post by lcberlin »

If somebody has tried to have this done to their pistol, and it didn't work, I don't think I would try it on mine. Lacking any negative comments here or from Magnaport, I will go ahead with the plan.

I have a Wolff 22lb recoil spring in one already, and it is much better than stock. My other pistol has the 20lb spring in it, and I can tell the difference when I shoot one after the other. Not a lot of difference, but it's there. So far I have had no troubles with either pistol and the new springs. I did the reading in the Sticky Book and Modifications, Fxes and Repairs before I bought the pistols, and I had to flatten the ends of the 22lb spring. I used the dremel to smooth out the inside of the coils after I did that, and nothing is tighter than what the stock spring is. Mebbe I messed something up.

Thanks for all the advice. Figured I might have to play with the springs once the autoporting is done. I will be sure to keep this updated as it plays out. Still waiting on a response from the email to Magnaport. The local Gander Mountain will ship the pistol to Magnaport for the work, and the gunsmith there said it would be about a month before it came back.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Magnaporting a P-64

Post by carguy »

Icberlin,

Maybe I just haven't paid attention before so I just tucked my 22# spring away but how do you flatten the ends and smooth the inside? I know I should read the sticky, forgive me it is late and I'm a little distracted tonight.

Thanks, Russ
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Magnaporting a P-64

Post by manicmechanic »

Here ya go Russ,
http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?ac ... 834&page=1

Icberlin,

Maybe I just haven't paid attention before so I just tucked my 22# spring away but how do you flatten the ends and smooth the inside? I know I should read the sticky, forgive me it is late and I'm a little distracted tonight.

Thanks, Russ
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Magnaporting a P-64

Post by manicmechanic »

Icberlin as far as getting yours ported, I see no problem as long as your intentions for the gun is for range work and such. If your plans include carrying for self-defense and or home defense I might reconsider. Especially in dark shooting scenarios, I've heard of and seen some pics of rather large fireballs, which may temporarily ruin your night vision for a follow up shot if needed. Also be aware that if you don't fully extend your arms those hot gasses will play havoc on a shirt or coat sleeve, let alone bare skin.
So as long as this will not be your go to gun, I see no problem porting it.