Safety Tempering

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
GuitarmanNick

Safety Tempering

Post by GuitarmanNick » October 26th, 2018, 10:00 am

I am curious to know if anyone has looked into doing a heat treatment on the P-64 safety to improve it's resistance to breaking. I searched the boards but did not find anything relevant. Of course, this would also require me to know more about the metal it is made from. I am not well versed in heat treating metal, but thought it may be worth looking into for this part. :?:

Ketchman
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Safety Tempering

Post by Ketchman » October 26th, 2018, 3:08 pm

I would think knowledge of the metallurgy of the part would be required before a proper heat treatment could be done.
Inspiration: The momentary cessation of stupidity.

"As in all life, the odds are 6 to 5 against"--- Ketchman

"The past is a foreign country. They do things differently there."
Jeff Cooper

GuitarmanNick

Re: Safety Tempering

Post by GuitarmanNick » October 26th, 2018, 8:50 pm

I am thinking that information was probably a trade secret. Was kinda hoping that someone may have some insight. I know enough to realize I do not want to grind on mine to test the part.
If someone has a broken safety, I think an observation of the sparks generated when grinding can give a good indication of what it is and whether or not it could be treated further.
Like I said, I am not well versed in heat treating metals. I seem to recall that grinding was the way an old friend used to test metals before using them for projects. Guess I should have paid more attention but I was usually working on the wiring.