Triangular or round hammer?

Info, pictures, advice...
ramptester

Post by ramptester »

I had the option of either, but I chose the round, just because it seemed more "retro" and reminded me of the Walther. It seems like more of you guys talk about the triangular, presumably because it would be easier to cock in a stress situation. What are other folk's ideas on the matter?
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

ranmptester,

My first P-64 was the Round Hammer. I knew NOTHING about the pistol except what I had read on the Makarov Forum and I knew it had to better than what some the folks were saying. My gun shop had one and I went over to look at it and was very impressed. I had to have the pistol. Shortly after getting it and trying to find out info on it, I found this great Forum.

From the Forum, I found out about the Triangular Hammer model and I had to have one to complete the collection. I found a new Triangular Hammer last weekend at a local gun show.

If I was rich, I would try to get one from each year of manufacture! LOL
cz83

Post by cz83 »

Can someone post pictures of both triangular and round hammer? Thanks!
preacher

Post by preacher »

Mine is round. I didn't know there was a triangular until I came here. But I would have to say I like the rounded better because I carry an inside-the-pants holster. I have found sharp edges to be uncomfortable.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

cz83,

Click on this Link and go to the bottom of the page. The bottom photo is the round hammer and two above have the triangular hammer. You can see the difference the hammers. From our friend in Poland, "bartos061" we know there is also a second variation in addition to the first and third.

Until I came onto this Forum, I was not aware of the triangular hammer either. This will be a crazy day for me, but I will try to get a photo of my first variation round hammer and the third variation triangular hammer tomorrow and post them

Here is the Link: http://p64.home.insightbb.com/pics.htm
Last edited by abwehr on December 22nd, 2005, 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
cz83

Post by cz83 »

Abwehr,

Thanks for the link! I'll check tonight if my P64 is a round or triangular hammer. Now I just have to get both speciment :)
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

cz83,

That is what I thought that I have a Round Hammer and I need a Triangular Hammer to have both, but one of our members from Poland advised today that there are Three (3) variations. (This does not count the early .380 cal. that only two are know to exist in Poland).

"bartos061" posted the following:

"First variations was made from 1964 to 1971 it has round hammer
Second variations was made from 1971 to 1973 it has modified hammer(but still round) and trigger bar( changes are only seen when do you compare two types of parts )
From 1972 this version has "A" stamp on the left side of pistol.
Third variations was made from 1973 to 1977 when the last one was produced . It has triangle hammer."

Well, I guess I need to find me one the 1971 to 1973 range now to complete the set! My First Variation is a 1967, my Third Variation is 1974, so I am now on the lookout for another one!
Last edited by abwehr on December 22nd, 2005, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rtroha

Post by rtroha »

Both my 1972 round hammer and my 1973 triangular hammer have "A" stamped on the left side.
bartos061

Post by bartos061 »

Hi rtroha,
I think that second Your pistol from 1973 is from the begining of this variation. You have new type hammer but the slide is from second variation. This is normal situation. I saw walther P99 with New type slide with old type other parts.
Or Your hammer was changed for newone.
bartos
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

Looks like I need to be on the lookout for a 1972 pistol! I sure do appreciate "bartos" being on the Forum to provide us with all this great information!

I am in the process of buying a Polish AK parts kit from a friend which has the underfolder stock. I assembled one for him last week and the quality of the Polish AK was the best I have seen. The Polish rifle has the best quality manufacture I have seen so far! Once I get the kit in hand, I will order a receiver from JoeKen and can have it assembled withing 6 hours tops!
nscale

Post by nscale »

I just purchased my 2nd and third P-64s. One is a round hammer and the other is a triangle. Now I have 2 rounds. 1967, 1970 and 1973 (triangle). If someone can help me figure out how to post pics, I would love to show them to you.
BTW, gottem at the Houston gunshow today there are a few more out there if anyone is intersted.
herrmannek

Post by herrmannek »

nscale

Post by nscale »

Here we go. Lets see if it works. Thanx Herrman
nscale

Post by nscale »

EXCELLENT
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Are they all coming with the thumbrest left grip? Theory was that they started importing a year or so ago with the original flat grips, but sometime this year changed the left grip to meet import rules for pistols.
Would appreciate comeback from those who shopped recently.