My P64 HiViz front sight mod

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
gemini1

My P64 HiViz front sight mod

Post by gemini1 »

While my P64 can shoot way better than me. I figured I could maybe do a much better job shooting it, if I can find a way to better aim this pistol. My 55 year old eyes are straining looking through the front sight blade, even with the white off I painted on it.

So thanks to the internet, after goggling sight mods, I found this:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4538

And after reading through the posts, I thought I could maybe try it differently. So I ordered the fiber optic here: http://shop.fiberopticproducts.com/inde ... ath=96_104
At first, I tried the idea of gluing just the fiber on the frame, just like what the other poster did. But with the unsightly glue blob, it kinda looks like ghetto job. So I took it out and tried to find something to work as a mount for the fiber filament. I couldn't find anyone online, selling just the mount. Went to the garage and the shed looking for anything that might work.
I found a bunch of beads, my daughter used on her last school project. Saw one that's elongated in shape like a watermelon, with a hole that's just right size for the fiber optic filament.
So I started filing it gently, reshaping it to a rectangle, till I got the right shape, height and width that would work for the P64.
When all is said and done, I applied a black sharpie over the pink color, and applied the glue at the base.

And here is my one hour worth of modding my front sight.

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: My P64 HiViz front sight mod

Post by Curly1 »

Someone did something similiar with their SCCY CPX 9mm over on their forum with good results.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Gemini1 that looks good and glad I could give you a nudge down that road. Did ya glue it on and if so what kind did you use. And of course we need to know if it shoots to point of aim, although I bet it will because it looks like you kept the same height as the original front sight. Did you open up the rear notch at all? I had to cause the fiber was wider that the rear notch and I could not get a full sight picture. Anyway, nice job man.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Thanks Ketchman. Yes, its just glued on. I used the 60 second epoxy by Permatex, I wanted to use JB weld, but I was concerned that if I mess up, I might not be able to take it out without destroying the base, its the only bead I found. No I did not do anything on the rear notch. I used the 0.60" filament. It's thin enough, even with the end expanded after heating (to lock it in place). It's just big enough to see the whole round shape through the rear notch.
I'm confident it will have the same POA, but of course we wont know till I shoot it, and hope the the glue holds.....We'll see. I might hit the range tomorrow, if it hold up after 100 rounds, then maybe I can safely say it works! But for added measure, once I confirm it all works out, I'm planning to add some more glue all around the side for added strength.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Well, happy to inform your guys that the sight works just great. I still do have issues with my shots hitting left, so I figured this is shooter error, but Im happy with the way it works.
Here's my 3 shot group at 7 yards:

Image[/URL]

Although the sight fell off before I finish my 50 round box, I'm not worried, I wasn't really confident that Permatex will hold it in place. I'll use JB Weld to fix it in place permanently....I hope.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Here's the discussion on the SCCY forum about a similar mod.

http://www.sccyforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... ilit=night
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

I'm gonna laugh when the sharpie rubs off, exposing your true (pink) colors! Interesting mod.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

These old eyes may have to follow your lead!
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

snailman153624 wrote:I'm gonna laugh when the sharpie rubs off, exposing your true (pink) colors! Interesting mod.
LOL! actually the pinkish color turned kinda milky white after being filed. The sharpie actually rubbed off the first time I tried to holster the pistol. But after re-applying several coats and grinding off the area where it rubs, it has remained black as night.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Just to update the thread. I used JB Weld this time to stick the front sight. Applied it just a tad at the base, and once pressed in, I used a toothpick to spread the excess that seeped out evenly around the sides. Shot 118 rounds of handloads, and the sight stayed put as I had hoped it would.