First P-64

Info, pictures, advice...
donnerwetter58

First P-64

Post by donnerwetter58 »

First off, I'd like to thank you all for the information available on this site.
What a nice firearm this is. It's my third 9x18, joining a PA-63 and a CZ-82. The P-64 will be one of my choices for a CCW.
Initially the gun didn't digest hollow points very well. Breaking the lower edge of the feed ramp seems to have taken care of this.
It was not at all unpleasant to shoot with factory ammo. Accuracy was very good.
I did receive the new Wolff springs last week. I installed the 20 lb. recoil spring along with the firing pin spring. Also installed was the 18 lb. hammer spring.
Took it to the range yesterday and it worked without a hitch. Both Silver Bear FMJ and JHP's (94 gr.) were tried.
Much improved DA pull. No unintentional double taps. No dropped magazines. No missfires.
I'll try the 22 lb. recoil spring next time out.
To my surprise though, the left thumbrest grip was now in 2 pieces. Split below the thumbrest.
Anyone have a set of flat grips they would part with?
I could see another one of these in my future...just what I need... another gun.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

First P-64

Post by normsutton »

donnerwetter58
WECOME
the only spare grips I have have a thumb rest on them I do have a pair that I polish the checkering and thumb rest off

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
searcher36

First P-64

Post by searcher36 »

Welcome donnerwetter58
I just purchased my first P-64 recently as well. I absolutely love mine, the guys on this forum are a wealth of knowledge. Wish I could help you with some flat grips. Got any pics of your new 64? :)

Rob
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

First P-64

Post by beasleydano »

Welcome donnerwetter58

What year was your P-64 made?
I do have a pair of flat checkered grips for sale. PM or e-mail me.
donnerwetter58

First P-64

Post by donnerwetter58 »

No photos yet.

beasleydano,
Email sent on grips.

Norm,
I'd like to be down your way in a month. The only thing I enjoy more than guns is flying machines.

My P-64 is a 1971, round hammer. Light finish wear on front of slide. Came from SOG a couple of months ago.
I've really come to like this pistol.
Thanks all,
Dave
jmorro19

First P-64

Post by jmorro19 »

Went to the Cedar Rapids gun show yesterday - nice show and way bigger than I'd expected to see. Anyway, while there I bought a couple of guns .... a BersaThunder Duo Tone .380 which I had wanted for a while and now that I have, I love. And then I musta had a brain fart as I was leaving the show. I stopped at the counter next to the door and made quick and bad decision. The guy was selling something he called a Polish Makarov... You know and NOW I know, that it was the P-64 so many of you seem to love!! Well, it looked brand new to me and the seller said that as far as he could tell IF it had ever been fired it hadn't had 50 cartridges put through it!! So dumb butt here paid $165 for it and headed for home. I felt pretty good about the buy until I got home and pulled (tried anyway) the double action trigger! Never in my life have I ever seen a pull this hard!! (I now own 9 handguns)

I’m glad you folks are happy with yours and I do not belittle your opinions in the slightest. But I’m afraid all I’ll ever do with this thing is take it out once in a while to look at and remind myself not to make snap, impulse gun-purchase decisions.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

First P-64

Post by carguy »

jmorrol: If I could I would offer to buy it from you myself but Massachusetts doesn't allow the purchase of P64's from out of state. But why don't you list it on the for sale section...get some pictures and tell your story again...members scoop these up because they can lighten the trier pull and the P64 has a solid steel frame. It is the most reliable weapon out there and for $165 plus less the coat of a good lunch for replacement springs and a "good" cleaning, you'll have the best CCW gun ever.

So there are your 2 options...work with it and see if I'm wrong or sell it, it will go fast.

Good Luck.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

First P-64

Post by space »

Congrtats on the new purchase donnerwetter58. I need to get a CZ-82 next I think. They seem to be pretty nice firearms as well.

Norm -

donnerwetter58
WECOME
the only spare grips I have have a thumb rest on them I do have a pair that I polish the checkering and thumb rest off

NORM
How did you polish them? I have a pair that got some unfriendly gun cleaner on them and messed them up a bit. I'd like to fix them if possible.
Last edited by space on March 25th, 2007, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

First P-64

Post by normsutton »

SPACE

email me your address and I send you the polish set and if you like them send me your pair as a trade ,they are very hard to polish because of all the nylon used in the stock grips

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on March 25th, 2007, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

First P-64

Post by bzinggg »

Went to the Cedar Rapids gun show yesterday - nice show and way bigger than I'd expected to see. Anyway, while there I bought a couple of guns .... a BersaThunder Duo Tone .380 which I had wanted for a while and now that I have, I love. And then I musta had a brain fart as I was leaving the show. I stopped at the counter next to the door and made quick and bad decision. The guy was selling something he called a Polish Makarov... You know and NOW I know, that it was the P-64 so many of you seem to love!! Well, it looked brand new to me and the seller said that as far as he could tell IF it had ever been fired it hadn't had 50 cartridges put through it!! So dumb butt here paid $165 for it and headed for home. I felt pretty good about the buy until I got home and pulled (tried anyway) the double action trigger! Never in my life have I ever seen a pull this hard!! (I now own 9 handguns)

I’m glad you folks are happy with yours and I do not belittle your opinions in the slightest. But I’m afraid all I’ll ever do with this thing is take it out once in a while to look at and remind myself not to make snap, impulse gun-purchase decisions.
They are military surplus pistols that come in a different cndition than commercial guns in the U.S. Don't be hasty. Do a search on "cleaning" here on the forum. Just a little education will open up a new perspective and can make the P-64 one of your favorite handguns.

Here's one that may help reframe your reference a bit:

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1149017901

Then read a bunch of topics from both general discussion and Mods and Fixs on DA pull, safety dissassembly, etc., etc. You'll find that you're carrying the P-64 and the Bersa will be the one collecting dust before long! 8-) ;) 8-)

By the way, welcome to the forum!
Last edited by bzinggg on March 25th, 2007, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

First P-64

Post by papabear »

+1 with bzinggg, give it a chance. ;D

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
jmorro19

First P-64

Post by jmorro19 »

nice comments and they are apreciated.
I'll not nake a another hasty decision to get rid of the P-64.
I'll give it a chance ..... hang on to it for a while.

once again. thanks.