The New P-64 Mag Release.

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Duo_Z

The New P-64 Mag Release.

Post by Duo_Z »

Hello everyone. I am sorry for the wait on the new design. I went through many prototype designs trying to come up with a better concealed carry version of the release. I found after many tries the Poles had the original pretty much perfect for that use. The final design I came up with was so close to the original it wasn't worth replacing it. I decided there had to be something better so I kept working at it. After a few different ideas and some more prototyping this is what I settled with. I know there are some issues to be figured out, but I would like some feedback on the idea before I get too deep in the production area. A video will come later.

jemsj4

Re: The New P-64 Mag Release.

Post by jemsj4 »

Wow, that's ugly, but how well does it work?
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

Yes, it is ugly. It's the prototype. If its made it will be finished a lot better and made of 4140 instead of aluminum. But as you will see when I get the video up, its one handed mag drops, quick and simple. The biggest problem at the moment is the grips. They would need to be modified or they would have to come with a new set.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Is there any chance the mag could accidently be released by snagging on clothing, holster or thumb placement while in the act of drawing it?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

OK, here is a quick video of using it. I will be able to put it through a few more tests this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Not meaning to be just a nay-sayer, but I find the magazine release on my P64 as is to be one of the easiest there is to use. Much easier than the one on my Modell 1934 Beretta and even easier than a lot of the "frame button" types I've seen.
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

To me, the idea is a nice one and I don't find the prototype ugly at all. From a marketing perspective, you'll run into obstacles with regards to install, left grip panel relief (replacement?), and hanging up on holsters.

I still look forward to seeing its progress!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Neat idea, not sure I would use in on mine because of accidental release but it does allow for a one hand mag release and I don't think its ugly once its finished.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Looking at thing again today and I REALLY like it. I'd be interested in playing around with a prototype if you intend to field test it.
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

dfunk wrote:Looking at thing again today and I REALLY like it. I'd be interested in playing around with a prototype if you intend to field test it.
I'm working on refining it a bit, I'll post an update when its ready.
jemsj4

Post by jemsj4 »

From your video, it looks like it works well. Like you said, you'd have to include a left grip. I don't know if I would use it or not. It is a neat idea. Good luck & keep us posted.
bcnagle

Post by bcnagle »

Hello Duo_Z, this is Brian, I messaged you last night about these. One question, why dont you have the lever more hidden into the top of the grip, utilizing the grip screw and a custom left grip (with longer screw) for the pivot point to release the magazine? This will allow for a more concealed lever to make sure no accidental magazine release while keeping the same function. Just a thought, I am definitely purchasing one of these as soon as you get the design perfected. Well done.
Stock:
Taurus 605 Poly 357mag
Hi-Point CF380 380acp
Modified:
Springfield Trophy Match 1911 45acp
Kel-Tec P-11 9mm
Savage Model 110 7mm r.m.
Mossberg 500a 12g
Polish Radom P-64 9x18
My Builds:
Ar-15 5.56
Ak-47 7.62x39
bcnagle

Post by bcnagle »

I took a bit too much off the grip so it looks a bit weird on the top but not too bad for about 2 hours worth of design/build.

This is the video without the grip so you can see how it functions.http://www.the-nagles.com/20130809_192331.mp4
Stock:
Taurus 605 Poly 357mag
Hi-Point CF380 380acp
Modified:
Kel-Tec P-11 9mm
Mossberg 500a 12g
Polish Radom P-64 9x18
My Builds:
Ar-15 5.56
Ak-47 7.62x39
jemsj4

Post by jemsj4 »

Looks pretty good.
bcnagle

Post by bcnagle »

Here's the final of my design. bit less metal but if I make these to sell, I'll end up making custom grips for them to widen the grip out 1/16". You can see where I took a bit too much off from the first design and will compensate that when my zee grips come in, and I had to make a custom washer to compensate for the plastic that weakened from the channel (hense increase width 1/16"). These aren't blued yet but the latch is rounded so it wont catch on anything when holstering/drawing/or pocket ccw.

Next, thinking of doing a custom slide stop to put a very small lever above the trigger just under the slide. Much easier for range use and cleaning purposes.
Stock:
Taurus 605 Poly 357mag
Hi-Point CF380 380acp
Modified:
Kel-Tec P-11 9mm
Mossberg 500a 12g
Polish Radom P-64 9x18
My Builds:
Ar-15 5.56
Ak-47 7.62x39