My Second Range Report

Info, pictures, advice...
Shadetree

My Second Range Report

Post by Shadetree »

My first trip to the range was a check out of my new to me 1969 Gander Mt P-64.
Previously mentioned I got several stovepipes with Silver Bear FMJ. Brown Bear was great.

Installed a 22lb Wolff Recoil Spring and a 18 lb Wolff Hammer Spring and went to range yesterday.

Since the spring change my 1969 P-64 slide does not lock back and drops the mag on last shot every time with SilverBear (no stovepipes this time), CCI Blazer, and Hornady Critical defense. I also find the S/A trigger is EXTREMELY light and is near what I would call a "hair trigger", although I don't believe either of the springs I changed could cause that. Perhaps it was just the clean/lube. I do feel any difference in the 18lb factory and 22lb recoil spring. Maybe I will as I get more used to it. The SA trigger is so light that in spite of the pistol's concealability in a CrossBreed clone holster and it really feels great in my hand I will not be adding it to my carry rotation. Maybe I'm just funny about it, but I prefer a DAO for concealed carry. and have a BG380 as well as a 9mm/.40 SIG P250SC that suffice for that purpose.

I really appreciate the advise and expertise available on this forum. From what I read here, I must have the only P-64 with the dropped mag syndrome and a 18lb hammer spring.
I did get the hammer pak so I'll be installing the 20lb hammer spring and see if that remedies the problem.
Thank you for all the contributions to the forum.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: My Second Range Report

Post by Curly1 »

I have the 17lb hammer spring and SA is a hair trigger also.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

i have read about the magazine falling out of the gun before, but can't remember where.

i think the issue was the lighter hammer spring because it also holds he magazine in place. when the magrelease is pressed you're actually compressing the hammer spring from the bottom.

i would try putting the original or a heaver hammer spring in than the 17lb and trying it at the range again. i would guess that will fix the magazine drop problem.

i have the factory hammer spring in mine, and when the hammer is back the trigger feels very sensative. i dont think i will be changing that. i will be changing the recoil spring soon, just got it in the mail. :)
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Also, the hammer spring is supposed to have a washer/spacer on the spring strut it sits on. It's possible yours is missing. This would cause the spring to be less compressed, and also potentially not properly aligned, reducing the effective spring force.