Post by stibnite »

What do YOU have as a "Truck Gun"???

What the heck IS a Truck Gun? :D
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Truck Gun?

Post by dolang1 »

I've got an old Spanish orbea. 6 shot. Shoots 38 long colt. It's partially chromed with plastic handles. My brother says that if it's not the ugliest gun he's ever seen, it's second. I load light 38 special bullets for it with wadcutter lead because regular lead bullets are too long.

My definition of a truck gun is one that lives in the truck and you won't be defestated if you loose it or scuff it up. Later Don
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Truck Gun?

Post by himmel »

My "truck gun" doesn't quite fit Don's definition, but it's close--it lives in the truck, but it's one of my best/favorite guns, it stays there because it is the best combination of safety, reliability, and ease of use for my wife and daughter that I have--it's my E German Mak, and even tho I got it as a bargain--$110 cash + a no-name 9mm that I had paid $75 for-- I would be sad to see it go... ;) I was looking at a gun book I had, I was reminded of a .32 Magnum NEF revolver that I bought years and years ago and since got rid of-- If I had it now IT would be the "truck gun"--safe, reliable, big enough to do the job at "carjacker" range, easy to use--but not exactly dear to my heart...
Last edited by himmel on February 20th, 2007, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Truck Gun?

Post by papabear »

stibnnite,

Good topic, I use to keep a M10 4" in the truck but about 6 months ago I switch to a Spanish Star BM 9mm, and its a sweet shooting thang. Picked it up for $200 OTD, but I did have to take it to the range a few times to find out what to feed it, now that I know what it likes we are best friends and its fun to shoot, and more important, I trust it.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
mattswabb

Truck Gun?

Post by mattswabb »

If I was to have a "truck gun" I'd buy a Hi point. Cheap and they work.
nicksterdemus

Truck Gun?

Post by nicksterdemus »

That Star is a fine weapon Papabear. I'd be afraid of losin' da Mak. 32 mag sounds swell. A 38 long colt? What century was that Orbea made? Ya sure that ain't a grenade waitin' 2 go off? It's got history fer sure. Nuttin' agin da Hi point 'cept it was whupped w/ugly stick @ birth. They will work if ya keep 'em clean but they just got no style & there's plenty of used handguns out there that are proven that do.................Take the Orbea 4 example...................
Last edited by nicksterdemus on February 21st, 2007, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Truck Gun?

Post by grayfox »

Because of some of the protection work I do, my truck gun is a MPA mac 45 that was made into a carbine. Side cocker with a reddot scope. I didn't want to go the SBR, so I had a fake suppressor put on by a great local gunsmith. If I can make it to my vehicle, then "sweety" comes out to play. Image
Last edited by grayfox on February 21st, 2007, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
nicksterdemus

Truck Gun?

Post by nicksterdemus »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet! That mag reminds me of the Thompson 30 rnd.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Truck Gun?

Post by anjdrifter »

remind me not to annoy greyfox. Hey I guess I could my my sks with folding stock and scope but only have orig. mag.
actually I like Papabears Star. they are great guns I love mind and it was one of my first I bought when I started up acquiring again. Heck I liked them when you could get them thru AMer.Rif.
for next to nothing at that time had three young kids so I had next to nothing.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Truck Gun?

Post by grayfox »

You could get a Star back in the 70's because that was one of my first off-duty guns in Fla. At that time it was all I could afford. It was a good shooter, wish I had kept it.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Truck Gun?

Post by anjdrifter »

sounds like a lot of us were in same boat.. it was milk and bread for the kids time for me.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Truck Gun?

Post by himmel »

Still in that boat, I am-- Saw a Star at the gunshop the other day, "Modelo Super"--was chambered 9mm Largo, but the same shop had (still has) a whole bunch of boxes of that ammo, made in Spain. It was only $180, and they even have a 25% down layaway plan--and i still couldn't get it--of course it's gone now... :(
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Truck Gun?

Post by himmel »

That Star is a fine weapon Papabear. I'd be afraid of losin' da Mak. 32 mag sounds swell. A 38 long colt? What century was that Orbea made? Ya sure that ain't a grenade waitin' 2 go off? It's got history fer sure. Nuttin' agin da Hi point 'cept it was whupped w/ugly stick @ birth. They will work if ya keep 'em clean but they just got no style & there's plenty of used handguns out there that are proven that do.................Take the Orbea 4 example...................
You're right, I don't want to lose the Mak--but the wife needs something when she's out with the tribe in the truck, and it's the best one for the purpose. My Nagant revolver might be better (I load it with .32 mag, works fine), but that's my "house gun" for them when I am away... BTW, our gunshop also has a few boxes of .38 Long colt--and a few of .38 S&W for that matter...
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Truck Gun?

Post by anjdrifter »

I keep saying I have too put one in the trunk or glove box but I love all my stuff too much to just treat em like that. Every time I buy something it becomes my new next best friend.. guess it comes from when I couldnt afford bullets much less a weapon.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Truck Gun?

Post by dolang1 »

I wanted to show off my orbia. I took a picture of it in the garage. I was afraid if I brought it in the house with the other guns it would start to get uppity. Later Don

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/d ... 0_0039.jpg
Last edited by dolang1 on February 21st, 2007, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.