Hornady custom ammo?

Info, pictures, advice...
leadhead2

Hornady custom ammo?

Post by leadhead2 »

Hey guys. Anyone shoot the Hornady 95 gr XTP ammo
in there P64? This stuff is marked custom. Is this the
same stuff as the critical defence ammo they make?
I'm going to try a box and see how they run in my 64.
Any info would be great. Thanks,
Denny
mjmelland

Re: Hornady custom ammo?

Post by mjmelland »

Critical Defense uses a different projectile, the FTX... designed to expand more reliably after penetrating clothing etc., has a soft plastic plug in the cavity of the projectile along with a few other jacket design changes . I like the XTP projectile as well, good penetration...I wouldn't feel underarmed with that in the magazine.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

In addition to what mjmelland said, many Makarov caliber shooters are more comfortable carrying FMJ ("ball") ammo for self defense instead of any expanding ammunition. They feel that with the Makarov round, penetration is marginal and an expanding ammunition is going to sacrifice penetration. FMJ, on the other hand, will have greater penetration.

For me, I have carried both Hornady JHP and Master Cartridge JHP.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

Critical Defense in 9x18 is probably going to perform similarly to CD in 9x17. It's not great "stopping power" but multiple shots will cause a lot of damage. I've shot about ten of them - they are pricey - with no failures of any kind.

I've never used XTP.

FMJ can over penetrate in some cases. The Hague Convention of 1899 prohibits the use of expanding rounds in war. The P-64 was probably designed to use FMJ rounds.

I guess it's a judgment call what you load and carry. What do you think your most likely threats will be?