PA-63 Double Action Problem

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
mr savage

PA-63 Double Action Problem

Post by mr savage »

Excuse me if there is a similar topic elsewhere, but I couldn't find it by searching. I have a problem with my PA-63 in that it doesn't want to fire in double action mode. I noticed the problem after a friend at the range loaded a full magazine with one already in the chamber and she sort of forced it in then began firing. I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong with it. I unloaded it and when I thumb back the hammer it will fire just fine, but if I try to pull the trigger back with the hammer down the trigger slides back (with some mushiness) to about the point where it would normally break and from there it requires some additional force to depress all the way and goes back with loud click. Hammer doesn't move at all during this sequence. My best educated guess is that loading too much ammunition into the pistol may have knocked something off track to where the double action mechanism isn't engaging with the trigger anymore. I've opened it up and can't figure out what is wrong with it, if anyone has any experience with this problem I'd love to know what you did to fix it, whether it be realigning parts or putting in replacements
BorisThespider

Re: PA-63 Double Action Problem

Post by BorisThespider »

First and foremost, have you given it a thorough cleaning?

What other troubleshooting have you tried?

Have you tried with a loaded magazine, half-loaded magazine, empty magazine, and no magazine?

If you have two magazines, compare them closely. See if it's possible that the magazine is damaged and interfering with the firing operation in some way. I don't see how it would affect the double-action, but it's worth checking regardless.

With the gun empty, apply some pressure to the hammer (as if you were going to manually cock it) and pull the trigger. Notice any movement on the hammer?

Does the single action feel the same as it did before it began malfunctioning? The only guess I have off-hand is that the trigger bar isn't properly seated in the top of the trigger or in the sear. With the slide off, try the single and double action and see if the trigger bar is moving or flexing at all - both ways. Take off the right side grip and do the same thing (watch the sear pin - that sucker likes to run off), and see how the trigger bar is working with the sear. Does anything seem amiss in any of this? Does something obviously not line up appropriately, or feel strange, or do anything else that seems unusual?

Finally, reassemble it and pull the trigger with the safety on. Do not force it. Does it feel the same as the double-action malfunction?

You may just have to give up and give it to me so you can forget all about it. :D
irishbob979

Post by irishbob979 »

I have the exact smae problem. My thread is under Other Firearms - "FEG PA 63 Fails To Cock". Let me know if you figure it out.
mr savage

Post by mr savage »

I believe I found the problem. I had previously taken it apart to look but hadn't looked close enough apparently. I was watching the parts engage and when I pulled the trigger in DA nothing was engaging, and right where I was feeling the 'click' the mechanism would jump past the spring loaded arm on the hammer. Upon closer inspection the hammer's arm seems to be damaged, as if a piece snapped off, making it just a millimeter or two shy of engaging with the trigger mechanism in DA mode. So it appears to be just a simple matter of swapping out the damaged hammer assembly for a new one. The pistol seems perfectly safe to shoot with this problem, but I'm going to fix it when I have the extra cash for the part. $35 for a new hammer almost seems like too much for a gun I paid $100 for...