Another question RE the CZ 82

Use this section for all other firearms
killroy

Another question RE the CZ 82

Post by killroy »

I am considering carrying my CZ 82 as a ccw. Does anyone have any opinions on the safest way to carry it? Since you can't engage the safety unless the hammer is cocked I was wondering how people handle this. I really don't want to "cock and lock" - it makes me a little nervous - especially with no grip safety. Do some folks click the hammer back to the "first" position so that it won't fire if dropped? When I say "first position" I'm referring to the point at which the hammer is back a little, but not enough to fire in Single action mode. I believe the CZ 82 has this feature (if memory serves).

Also, what is the opinion on the stopping power of this round? I've heard that some people say it's great, but others say that it won't go through a furring strip. I was also considering investing in a Glock 23 (.40 cal). Thoughts?

Thanks!
DoubleTap

Re: Another question RE the CZ 82

Post by DoubleTap »

Personally, I'd feel a whole lot safer carrying it cocked and locked , as opposed to utilizing a pseudo-half cock 'safety'. A lot of people carry them hammer down as well.

As for the stopping power of the 9x18mm, I'd say it's perfectly adequate for a self defense round. Bullet placement is vastly more important than so-called 'stopping power'. A hit with a .22LR will do far more damage than a miss with a 44 Magnum. :wink:
JB7748

Post by JB7748 »

As a disclaimer I have no experience with Glocks or the CZ 82. In my opinion I would go with the Glock 23 for CCW. My reasoning behind this is parts and accessories for Glocks are like iPod accessories, cheap and everywhere. The overall weight of both pistols when loaded is close to being even. As the same with the overall dimensions so conceal-ability could be a factor depending on how you carry. I would prefer a easy safety seen on a Glock if in doubt about the CZ 82's safety. Another possible issue with the CZ 82 is the exposed hammer could become caught when drawing. A downside to the Glock is that ammunition costs are higher compared to the 9x18 Makarov. With this in mind frequent practice with your primary carry is important for your safety and of others. As for the difference in caliber I recommend shooting both first to understand what can be easily and reliably controlled for follow-up shots. Some thoughts on stopping power to keep in mind is that "all pistols suck" being that most people survive gunshot wounds. With that said the main thing is to make the attacker quickly stop what they are doing whether through pain or physical damage. Like what DoubleTap said shot placement is key. So with everything I just said about the .40 S&W Glock 23 I still intend to use my 9x18mm P-64 for CCW because I feel comfortable with it. So in the end it's up to your discretion of what is best for the situation.

I also found this video on YouTube that covers the safety and some holsters.
Review of CZ-82 Pistol for Concealed Carry (With Some Holster Choices)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGnwJzEGJk
Last edited by JB7748 on February 20th, 2011, 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

The CZ82 does not have a half cock feature, however, with the hammer down there is a gap between the hammer and firing pin, yes the hammer in the down position does move forward slightly when pushed or struck but it will not strike the firing pin unless the trigger is engaged. As for the 9x18 round, anyone that says it won't penetrate a furring strip is nuts, and has not IMHO every shot a 9x18 pistol. I agree with DoubleTap, the 9x18 is adequately powered for A SD/HD round and placement is far more important than the so called "stopping power'. The CZ 82 was designed for police and military use, and is a very capable weapon as is the P-64 and the different Makarov's. Just because the 9x18 round is not American does not make it a inadequate round, much of the rest of the world use's it, case in point, you don't hear anyone complain about the 7.62x39 round not being effective, holy crap, nearly every one has a SKS or AK or some variant of them and yet its not American either. The 9x18 round is becoming very popular now, first known as the 9mm Makarov, then it evolved to the 9x18 its actual size, amazingly though only those that have actually handled and shot these pistols know and understand their effectiveness. As for 9x18 CZAK P-64 it was heavily criticized by the Makarov crowd for sometime, but now even they see the attributes of the P-64, so for those that criticize any 9x18 pistol or the round itself as far as I'm concerned they can go fly a kite.

End of Rant,

Papa
killroy

Post by killroy »

Thanks for all of the great advice! Looks like I'll be carrying a CZ-82...now to find a holster....