Bulgarian Makarov

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
fknipfer1

Bulgarian Makarov

Post by fknipfer1 »

I bought myself a Bulgarian Makarov tonight off of Gunbroker for $165 just couldn't turn it down. Going to take it and replace all the springs, firing pin, and barrel so I can have a new .380 ACP.
I think all .380s are too little and I want a real combat gun. Will self load all the ammo I use in it and make a real barn burner out of it. BB has some ammo in 100grs for .380 that has 294 lbs of ME and thats a real round. The Bulgarian Mak out to be a real good carry gun with that kind of ammo. So now I will have a Makarov in each car with defensive loads in it.
The Mak's are slim and easy to carry in the fall, winter and spring, little more difficult in the summer especially here in Kansas.
I should have the new Mak next week and have found me a cheap barrel tool to get it done. Will post pictures when I get thru with the project.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
Am not a collector more of an accumlator
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Bulgarian Makarov

Post by manicmechanic »

I myself would leave it as a 9x18 since it is already more potent than the .380 and less expensive to shoot.
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

I have an EGerman Makarov and don't need two Maks and also have a P83 from Poland the replacement for the P64. Cost of ammo will be same as I reload about 95% of ammo I shoot. Cost to reload, .11 for bullet, .035 for Primer, .02 for powder I have tons of 9mm cases I can cut down so .17ea bullet, times 50 equals $8.50 per box. If I shoot less than hard cast the bullet price drops to .06 each or .11 per bullet or $5.50 per box. I haven't checked the 9mm conversion to the .380 but I am sure it will work.
Buffalo Bore has some ammo for CCW a 100gr bullet going 1150fps @ 294 lbs of ME which is more than I can bring the 9mm Mak too.
The only change I have to make is the barrel and I intend to keep the old barrel so if things don't go the way I want them to go, I will change back.
The indoor ranges here in Wichita, Ks won't allow you to shoot 9mm Mak steel rounds. If you say Mak they put a magnet to your rounds and if they stick you can't shoot them. So I will reload.
Thanks for the comment,

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Yep, my range does the same thing with the magnet, good deal that you're also into reloading, that'll save you some cash for sure regardless what you decide to do. Let us know how she shoots regardless too!
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

They tell me the steel core bullets go thru their backstops, so I can blame them for no allowing the bullets. This tells me the Russian steel bullets get more penetration than the lead ones. I don't know if that is bad or good, someone gets shot with a steel bullet from a Makarov and the bullet goes completely thru them. I guess if it hits bone it would shatter the bone, but if it hits nothing it just goes thru with less effect. So I reload lead and nobody bothers me.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

Surely you can shoot Silver Bear HPs at any range? They're cheap and fairly accurate.
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

I have never had any SilverBear HPs so I don't know what they are. I always had my own reloads and steel bullets I bought one time for a 1000rds cheap.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

To my knowledge the HP's do have a bi-metal jacket like all the other Brown/Silver/Gold Bear stuff. I just checked my Silver Bear HP's. The box does say Bi-Metal and they are indeed magnetic.

Frank, the way you solve it is that when they ask you what you're shooting, you just tell them 9mm. You don't have to divulge that it's Makarov. Any "foreign" caliber and they automatically want to see the bullet. Actually, IIRC Bullseye is the only one that gets butthurt when you shoot the "B,S,G" Bear line of ammo. Bullet Stop doesn't care since that's what they sell in their own store is the Silver Bear stuff for a lot of money too. They are scam artists. I did shoot Silver Bear at Bullet Stop.
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

Junius,
I just don't care to shoot at Bullet Stop as they act like they are doing you a favor everytime you go in to their store. I've known the owner for about 30yrs and he didn't used to be that way, but sucess must have gone to his head. I've loaded up some 93gr lead bullets for the Mak and will shoot them before Friday. I was going to do it today but have to take the dog to get groomed.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 with manicmechanic on the converting it to .380 but I understand your thinking by having other 9x18's, hope it all works out for ya and please let us know how it goes. I have had three Bulgarian Mak's plus a EG one, I just didn't have the need for speed for em, still have one Bulgarian Mak with Dennis grips on it,

bvd1

Post by bvd1 »

Beautiful grip on that arsenal. Iv'e stayed away from those grips but that picture may change my mind.
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

What a nice look grip, wow I really like them

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
wyo-man

Post by wyo-man »

Do they slip or move in your hand when firing?
Do you prefer without checkering?

Nice wood, though.

wyo-man
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

wyo-man,

No they don't for me, but some I have let shoot it with the smooth Dennis grips have mentioned that smooth grips do move in their hand. I only shoot 93-95 gr ammo in all my 9x18's and grip is not a problem for me, a set of Pearce grips would help for those needing a firmer grip. I just love the feel of the smooth grips not to mention for at least the good looks and for me the grip is not a issue.
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

Sure wish Pierce would make rubber grips for the P-64.