Baikal Makarov..

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
gwbiker

Baikal Makarov..

Post by gwbiker »

Saw one at local gun shop for $140+tax and thought what the hell I'll buy it, if it shoots as well as my P-64, I'll keep it, if not....!

It's an IJ-70 9x18, 8+1 made in Russia, adjustable rear sights, imported thru Harrisburg Pennsylvania and in a sorry condition, but an interesting design of engineering. Once the slide and the grips are removed, a small hammer flat spring retainer is moved down and a small spring is unhooked near the slide release and everything comes apart. Except for the trigger guard, there are no pins to remove. There is a Makarov.com site for more on this nice handgun.

So, while cleaning the bare frame of old grease and other crap, I chose to use a strong cleaner with hot water as a rinse, as I had run out of degreaser.

That's right. After that blunder there is NO Russian applied bluing is left on the frame. All gone.

Soooooo, what's a real good easy to apply cold blue that looks good?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Baikal Makarov..

Post by juniustaylor »

I always like Brownell's Oxpho-Blue. Follow the directions on the bottle and it should be smooth sailing.
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

juniustaylor wrote:I always like Brownell's Oxpho-Blue. Follow the directions on the bottle and it should be smooth sailing.
Thanks, I'll look for it.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

Good find, IJ-70s are excellent pistols- never had a problem with mine in ten years and hundreds and hundreds of rounds. They normally go for about 2X what you paid. Some replace the adjustable rear sight with a fixed one, I think you might still be able to find those on Gunbroker or Ebay.

Edit: A Pearce grip should be the first thing to get for it though...
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Plus one with juniustaylor, Oxpho-blue is an excellent product. My local gun smith at the Shooters Imporium here in Portland Oregon advised me to heat the parts in the oven between each application and the results are beautiful. The most applicationes that I have done is six, and the steel wool polish is beautiful; blue black that looks like it was done by a professional.
Inexpensive and easy to use.
G.R.
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

I finally got my parts shipment from Brownell's. Had to come UPS ground because of the bluing chemical - took 7 days from Iowa to Arizona. Had some Beretta parts in the box, plus BIG Brownell's catalog. Didn't use heat treatment suggestion, but results look real good. Easy assembly and I'm off to the indoor range on Friday.

Will see if recoil pain is like P-64 and if so, Pierce grips will be ordered.
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

Off to the indoor range on Friday with the Baikal Makarov. Good accuracy at 21' with brown Bear FMJ and JHP.

I noticed the grips are hard rubber with a "Made in Germany" mark stamped on inside when screw enters. Could those grips be Pearce Grips as they look very similar to ones on Pearce site. Also grip screw is common variety slotted.
stover

Post by stover »

do they look like these:

http://www.buymilsurp.com/grip-east-ger ... 3b33b15f75

If so they are original issue East German grips. If not post a picture and someone will be able to identify them. BTW: East German grips are my favorite and I put them on every Makarov I carry.
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

Not the same grips, I believe. The hard rubber grips on my Baikal have a thumb rest.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

Pearce grips are softer and much more meaty than either stock Baikal or E. German. Great for large hands/long fingers.
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

How about some pics?? Before and after if you got em. I was going to suggest. Parkerizing it and then maybe your favorite color of Duracoat. One of the guys on the makarov forum duracoated his Bulgarian. Here is a pic.

gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

surfzombie wrote:How about some pics?? Before and after if you got em. I was going to suggest. Parkerizing it and then maybe your favorite color of Duracoat. One of the guys on the makarov forum duracoated his Bulgarian. Here is a pic.

I simply reblued it, actually it came out more like black. Shot it a few times, also picked up an extra magazine. Very reliable and accurate, but I might sell the Baikal as I prefer to OC the P-64. For times of CC I choose a Ruger LCP.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

I just got a like new one myself from the local shop for $200. The really nice thing is that it came with the original magazine and two extra KBI magazines. I wasn't looking to get another but it was a good deal.
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

Today I sold my Baikal Makarov with two magazines to a dealer at local gun show. Made about $50 on the deal. Some time later I saw a East German Makarov with combat sights and Buffalo N.Y. import markings in great condition for sale at $300.

Right now I'm thinking of buying that E. German Makarov, so someone please talk me out it..... :?
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

OK......so no one wanted to talk me out of buying this Ernst Thalmann East German 9x18 Makarov, Importer RUKO Products, Buffalo, N.Y. So I bought it - actually traded another handgun for it.

Upon stripping it down, I noted a vast difference in internal parts quality when compared to my previously owned Baikal Makarov.

Think I'll keep this one.