Ammo

Info, pictures, advice...
Thunderbolt

Ammo

Post by Thunderbolt »

What is the difference between Brown Bear and Silver Bear ammunition? other than the green lacquer on the Brown Bear.
The reason I ask is I never had any issues until I started firing silver bear then my safety broke the gun still has the stock slide spring, should I have used the heavier WOLF spring?

Thank You :idea:
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: Ammo

Post by normsutton »

Thunderbolt

ammo in these guns don't brake safeties, they brake cause they were cast then milled then heat treaded, and some of them were brought to high of heat when heat treated, and age has hardened them even more so the metal becomes brittle, like some S&W hammers I have seen
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 with Norm, I have had main springs break in a couple of my S&W and Colt's revolvers, these things happen and not because of the ammo.
bigmac

Post by bigmac »

To add a bit to Norm's explanation, the springs also become very hard and stiff over time as well. I have a couple of P 64's and I noticed that the safety was very difficult to operate. It seem to me that the safety detent spring was really stiff. I polished the safety and detent pin then used a 1911 plunger spring cut down to get a safety that works like a slick pickle.