New Member, New P-64--Ammo Advice

Info, pictures, advice...
bigmac

Re: New Member, New P-64--Ammo Advice

Post by bigmac »

normsutton wrote:bigmac
S&B dose make Winchester 9 x 18

NORM
I thought so, but just wasn't sure. Thanks for the info. For what it's worth, the only Russian stuff I shoot is Silver Bear and Brown Bear. It seems to be consistent and has not failed in the Maks. The prices of $9.00 for a box of 50 is just to tempting as well.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

"Cite it otherwise it is hearsay."

Sir, was your above comment directed at me in ref to Wolf 308?

I am not very computer wise so I don't know how to link or post pictures. However, one thread I recall seeing was on the Fal Files in the ammunition forum. It's a sticky at the top of the ammo forum titled Wolf 308 kaboom. I believe they have some pictures of ruptured/blown cases.

Again I will state: I do not know how true it is. It's not my rifle nor do I know the owner. It's just one of the threads I recall reading a couple of years ago on the subject.
Last edited by Farmer on August 9th, 2010, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smbob

Post by smbob »

Ron S. wrote:Guys,

I really appreciate the input, links, etc.! Although Wolf may or may not be perfectly fine, based on what I'm reading here there appears to be enough of a controversy about it that I think I'm going to feel more comfortable with Silver Bear and/or S&B. Both are reasonably priced @ $11 to $15/box, and I'm okay with that. The S&B seems to be a higher quality round and 95 vs. 94 gr. so that might be my first choice. Gotta see if I can find any in the Phoenix area; if not I'll order some up.

Thanks again,
R.
If you ever get up around Prescott J&G Sales carries S&B, Silver Bear H.P.
& FMJ, and Brown Bear.

Robert
Ron S.

Post by Ron S. »

Shinerjohn--
Thanks for that. I just ordered a 50 rnd box of Silver Bear FMJ and the same of S & B from Sportsman's Guide. One was 11.27 and one 14.67 plus reasonable shipping. I'll try 'em both, and post my results. Didn't do the Brown Bear because of the lacquer, but I'm sure they're fine as well. With the 18 lb hammer spring, I don't want anything borderline, and again you are confirming for me that Wolf is questionable, especially at the prices for good alternatives. Really appreciate it!

Robert, I do get up there from time to time--I'll check their prices next time and maybe go that route. Thank you!
R.
former_usmc

Post by former_usmc »

I've not used wolf much at all on any of my weapons so I can't speak to it, but the debate back and forth is good enough for me, especially when it comes to the p-64 that has no spare parts.

What I have put through the p-64 is S&B, WWB, Fiocchi, and Hornady. I have more of each of those plus a green box of Norinco and will probably pick up some brown bear soon. I use brown bear in 7.62x39 in my sks and have never had a single issue. I've also read good things about it in 9x18. So far my little P-64 has taken everything I've fed through it, and always puts a smile on my face.

Cheaper Than Dirt has the Brown Bear in stock for $9.19 ($0.18 p/p round). You can't beat that! Especially since you don't have to buy a case to get that price!

Good luck.
Joe

I'd say 90% are saying, We all know it's fake; we're playing along. The other 10% are saying, We're ready! And I'd say 10% of that 10% can't wait for it to happen.
Max Brooks on Zombies to CNN
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

bigmac wrote:Well after burning up some MAK PM firing pins with Wolf 9x18 Ammo I have learned not to trust the Russians anymore. I think they are sweeping the floors to get cartridge loads these days myself.
Probably not as much as some of you folks, but I have fired several 1000 rounds of Russian ammo without any problem in my Maks and P-64s. Wolf definitely seemed smokier/dirtier than the rest. At http://www.sportsmansguide.com, you can find Russian ammo at roughly the same or even cheaper price than Wolf.
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

I can understand what your saying but in my experience I have never had any problems with wolf ammo. I have used it for several years in my sks, 9mm, 40 s&w, pa-63, cz-82, Russian Makarov and my P64. I also have used the Brown Bear FMJ and my own reloads 93gr LRN. I have never seen a primer puncture or burnt firing pin. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. It just has never happened to me. The first I had ever herd of it was on the board. I'm in agreement with Autosurgeon. Wheres the proof? I want to see proof. To me it's like comparing Ford to Chevy or Dodge or Coke to Pepsi. We all have our own opinions. If Wolf really is inferior I would like to see the evidence.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

surfzombie

keep shooting wolf ammo you will see the proof, you have been real lucky so far, shoot what you want its your gun , but you have been warned take it or leave it,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Not sure if this will work or not but I will try and post a picture of some Wolf 308 cases that failed.
Attachments
wolfkaboomx2.jpg
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Guess it worked!

Just for the record. This was not with my gun. It was one of a couple of pictures I have seen posted on other sites about Wolf 308 failures. Again I do not know the owner of the rifle or the particulars of what happen. I don't wish to offend anyone or make a claim one way or the other as to how good Wolf ammunition is. You can look at the photo's and form your own idea. Like many of you I have been reloading for many many years. I look at those photos and I have a pretty good idea of what I am looking at.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Found another post on a site with a different rifle and owner reporting case failure in Wolf 308.
Attachments
wolf3.jpg
wolf4.jpg
wolf2.jpg
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

I have been very lucky, out of all of the rounds that I have fired out of all of my weapons, the only primer pierce (knock on wood) never have had a case separation, happened with some corrosive mil surplus 7.62x54R that I was shooting out of my Romanian PSL. The gas went right back into the primer hole and froze the floating style firing pin up tight as a drum.

I had to soak it in clp for a few days, and then tapped it gently until the firing pin broke loose. It pitted the pin slightly but no serious damage thank god. There are not a lot of spare parts floating around for that rifle either.

Have shot a lot of wolf, never any problems. I think its a luck of the draw thing, but like pointed out we are dealing with a weapon here that if something happens we are SOL because there are no spare parts.

Someone really ought to start making (or repairing) the parts that are prone to break, I remember back when there were no extra firing pins floating around for the CZ52 and as we all know they are prone to breakage if you dry fire the pistol.

There was a guy that figured out how to repair the broken pins and you could send the firing pin to him and he would fix it for a fee.

Capitalism at its finest :)
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

normsutton wrote:surfzombie

keep shooting wolf ammo you will see the proof, you have been real lucky so far, shoot what you want its your gun , but you have been warned take it or leave it,

NORM
NORM Have you personally lost a firing pin to wolf ammo or do you know someone personally that has had a gun failure due to Wolf ammo?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

surfzombie

I have know and have seen firing pins fried, and extractor blow out on the P-64's , bugged barrels because of squib loads in other guns, I don't buy a lot of loaded ammo I hand load just about everything I shoot , even my carry ammo , I trust my reloads over any factory loads

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

normsutton wrote:surfzombie

I have know and have seen firing pins fried, and extractor blow out on the P-64's , bugged barrels because of squib loads in other guns, I don't buy a lot of loaded ammo I hand load just about everything I shoot , even my carry ammo , I trust my reloads over any factory loads

NORM
That is wise advise. I reload myself and need to do more but sometimes just don't have the time so I end up buying factory ammo.