Slide is not pushing ammo in all the way

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
killroy

Slide is not pushing ammo in all the way

Post by killroy »

Howdy! I am among the newest of P64 owners and I have a question regarding the chambering of ammo. I'm using silver bear JHP and 9 times out of 10 the round is not properly chambered (ie it doesn't go all the way without a little "forward assist). Sometimes I even have to take the slide off to remove the round. Thoughts?

Oh yeah, when I first got the gun I soaked it in mineral spirits overnight and then cleaned all the gunk out of it while spraying all parts with WD40.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: Slide is not pushing ammo in all the way

Post by normsutton »

killroy

scrub the chamber with a bore brush and some acetone, it might have lacquer build up in it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
killroy

Post by killroy »

ok - thanks norm! I'll give it a try...
killroy

Post by killroy »

OK - so I cleaned the feed ramp really well - even polished it - but the slide still does not push the ammo in all the way. Then I noticed that the magazine catch does not hold the magazine up all the way - there is about 1/16" of play. When I hold the magazine up with my left hand and rack the slide with my right, I have no problem chambering rounds. The magazine is numbered to the gun (in pencil), but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

any more ideas?

thanks again, all!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

normsutton wrote:killroy

scrub the chamber with a bore brush and some acetone, it might have lacquer build up in it

NORM
didn't till you to do anything to the feed ramp,
norm
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
killroy

Post by killroy »

sorry - let me clarify. I also scrubbed the chamber with acetone and a brush; then I polished the ramp. Neither of these have worked. Is it possible that it's the small amount of play in the magazine?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

killroy
that shouldn't any thing to not being able to chamber a round,
you sure you have the right ammo 9 x 18 Makarov , not 9X18 police

norm
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
killroy

Post by killroy »

absolutely sure! the round never actually enters the chamber - it hits the ramp and stops - a bit too low it seems. That's why I was asking about the magazine not being tight...if I just had the extra 1/16 of an inch, I'm not sure that I would be having this problem.

Or I could be crazy...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

killroy

I doubt you are crazy, but not have the gun in my hand 's its very hard to tell what's going on with it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

You say that if you push the mag up it feeds. Do you have a different mag you can try?

Perhaps the contact point on either the mag or the mag release where it touches the mag is worn on your pistol?
killroy

Post by killroy »

Yes, this is difficult to try and describe. Unfortunately I don't have another mag to test out. Perhaps I could look for one and give it a try. Didn't I read on here once that there are differences in mags from the earlier guns and the later guns? Mine is a 1967...

If I have a worn mag release (or catch on the mag itself) is there a way to try and repair this?
killroy

Post by killroy »

ok - I made a short video, so hopefully this will help. Basically, you can see it jam when I chamber the round, and when I take the slide off, I jiggle it a little bit and something clicks (not sure what you call that arm thing right above the magazine), and the bullet jumps into place.

here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8ubVxux5D4

there's also this one, which is similar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUSDk2dk ... re=channel
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

killroy

now I can see thank you , do you have another mag, if not try an get an original mag from Poland, there is a guy on gun broker that sells them,you can also take the grips off put the mag in a take a pix of that the mag should lock up tight no up and down play , you could have a bad catch on the gun or the mag, I suspect its the mag though , it probably a after market mag, that someone electric pencil the ser. No, on it to fake it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

It looks like a mag issue to me by what you describe, but when I watched your video, the first thing I thought of was the extractor might not be getting in front of the rim. I'd also try another mag to see if that changes things.
killroy

Post by killroy »

Thanks, guys! I'll try an original mag next. That makes sense about this being an aftermarket mag - it has almost too much play just to be wear!

If I have any more problems, I'll be sure to let you know!

:hi: