Finally got my P64 to the range

Info, pictures, advice...
JAGGUY

Finally got my P64 to the range

Post by JAGGUY »

Hello. Finally made it to the range yesterday with my SOG P64 and have some observations.
First and foremost, the pistol is fun, accurate, and very reliable. No hiccups with a box of Brown Bear and 50 of my reloads. Also the recoil isn’t nearly as bad as expected so I won’t be replacing the recoil spring anytime soon.
Also, mine came with both types of magazines and since mine is dated 1970 I expected troubles with the later design mag. That wasn’t the case however and both mags fed fine every time.
The one thing that will take some getting used to is the single action trigger pull. On mine it is almost too light. The double action pull is stiff but not as bad as expected however when I fire DA and then SA I had a hard time controlling that first SA shot. I would fire it before I was ready due to the light SA trigger. Just firing SA it was OK but still a light trigger to get used to.
Now since replacing the hammer spring will effect both the DA and SA trigger pull, I don’t to replace that either because the last thing I want to do is lighten the SA pull any more.
Looks like something I just need to get used to.
That said, I like the little pistol a lot, enough in fact I went and ordered another one last night!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Finally got my P64 to the range

Post by juniustaylor »

The lighter hammer spring will barely lighten the SA trigger pull a bit more. You can try a stiffer trigger spring to make the trigger pull a tad more difficult. I think Norm sells them a bit stiffer. Give him a shout. Glad you found it to be a good pistol and you didn't have problems with the mags.
torpeau

Re: Finally got my P64 to the range

Post by torpeau »

JAGGUY wrote: Now since replacing the hammer spring will effect both the DA and SA trigger pull, I don’t to replace that either because the last thing I want to do is lighten the SA pull any more.!
Many of us leave the hammer spring alone and figure the heavy DA trigger pull is kind of like a safety. P-64s are great little pistols -- I have four.