Range Report: First time out with the P64

Info, pictures, advice...
paddlingman

Post by paddlingman »

I love this little gun. Did I say that yet? ;D

I got it a couple of weeks ago - a 1973 with the angular hammer. I performed a nice cleanup and tested for function. No kidding, that double action spring is TIGHT at the end of travel. I ordered the 20 lb recoil spring and the hammer spring pack. I split the difference on the hammer spring with the 19 lb spring. The double action felt MUCH better with dry fire.

Anyway, I arrived at the range toting the P226, HK P7, East German Mak and the P64. Though I hadn't noticed at this particular range before, there was a "no steel or aluminum case ammo allowed" sign. The Silver Bear stayed in the bag and I split two boxes of S&B FMJ and one 20 round box of Hornady XTP between the the EG and the P64.

The P64 performed without a single hiccup. Solid and comfortable. The recoil? It felt like .38+p's out of my 642. There was at least 30-40% more felt recoil than the EG Mak with the same ammo. Still, very manageable and, after maybe one more range trip, this one will go into the carry rotation.

I had originally put on a Handall Jr that was left over from a P11 I used to own. actually enjoyed shooting it more without the sleeve than with it. I can also see myself dremeling off the finger rest on at least one mag for ease of carry.

I like this pistol a lot!
Last edited by paddlingman on December 6th, 2009, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddlingman

Post by paddlingman »

blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

They make fine little firearms. But, they need companionship of one of their kind. All of them are that way.
paddlingman

Post by paddlingman »

How about a Teutonic cousin? ;)

envy

Post by envy »

? paddlingman what is the small greyish blue colored gun pictured with the p-64?
Never allow the radical views of the few to infringe on the Constitutional rights of the many
stover

Post by stover »

Kel-Tec 3AT
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

""no steel or aluminum case ammo allowed" sign."

I think I would be looking for another range-- that is of course if you police your own brass up and they still don't let you shoot non reloadable.
paddlingman

Post by paddlingman »

No doubt. Sometimes the hours and environment dictate an indoor range - there are only two here in Indy. One is the primadonnas at Pops and then there's Don's. Don's... well, you can buy guns at twice retail inside, drugs at the going rate outside, and get muzzle swept by more thugs doing that horizontal ghetto grip on their gun than you'll likely seen in a year at the movies.