Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Use this section for all other firearms
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I Picked up an Iver Johnson M1 carbine in thirty carbine from an acquaintance and it needs a new magazine, the one it has is an after market issue and will not seat in the rifle.
Any of you fellows out there who have experience with the M1 Carbine and have some advise about a particular brand of mag., I would sure appreciate the help.
G.R.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Post by papabear »

gunneyrabbit wrote:I Picked up an Iver Johnson M1 carbine in thirty carbine from an acquaintance and it needs a new magazine, the one it has is an after market issue and will not seat in the rifle.
Any of you fellows out there who have experience with the M1 Carbine and have some advise about a particular brand of mag., I would sure appreciate the help.
G.R.

gunney,

Any G.I. 15rd/30rd mag will work
POINT SHOOTER
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Thanks papabear, I really appreciate the information.
G.R.
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Post by martilyo »

I've got the same brand of M1 carbine, and love it!! Many places sell the mags such as:
www.jgsales.com
www.centerfiresystems.com
www.aimsurplus.com

I have a Korean made 15 round mag which feeds just fine. I recommend cleaning and lubing which also may help.
Last edited by martilyo on November 26th, 2009, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Martilyo, thanks for the web cites, thats what I love about this forum, most polite and knowledgeable folks around.
G.R.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Post by normsutton »

GR

CMP has

Magazine, M1 Carbine, 15 round. Good condition, but some
light rust and discoloration possible.
Price $15.00 each, plus S&H.

http://estore.odcmp.com/Store/catalog/c ... 5=&max=100

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Thanks for the heads up Norm, I appreciate the help.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I failed to mention that the rifle was originally a Paratrooper version with a collapsible wire stock, the original owner found a very nice military stock for it and changed the configuration. I'm sorely tempted to return it to its original version and shoot it that way to see how well it preforms in that mode. The two pistol grips seem to make for a very stable platform and for me it wins hands down for the cool factor. Only problem is the paratroop version has a perforated metal heat cover as opposed to the wood on the military stock. I'd be interested in some opinions from you fellows that have history with the rifle, I'm a serious novice when it comes to most rifles.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on December 1st, 2009, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Post by normsutton »

G.R.
the original's didn't have a perforated metal heat cover , they were wood so if you have a wood one use it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Post by papabear »

+1 with Norm, here are what the originals look like.

More Info:

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl08-e.htm
POINT SHOOTER
rottenrick

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Post by rottenrick »

I do believe Brownells, Sarco, AIM, Centerfire systems has them in 15, and thirty rd mags.
My uncle in St. Louis owned 15 laundromats. When I worked for him, we carried lots of cash, and rolled coins. This was in the very early 70's, St. Louis was bad even then. We carried a lot of different types of weapons. A Browning 12 ga. auto 18" barrel, an M1 carbine with 30 mags is what we carried in our vans. His personal weapon was a 1911 colt. The one he gave me to carry as an 18 year old was a Browning .380 1910. The M1 was alot of fun to shoot, a great urban warfare carbine for it's time. Saw him use it once on a guy trying to rob us. It wasn't pretty. A funny story, just before a holiday, friday we cashed out all our stores, rolled all the change, had maybe 20k in coins and one dollar bills, a lot of money for the time. We were in downtown St.Louis making a deposit at the bank. My uncle had his 1911 in his waistband of his 'Dickies' work pants, shirt pulled over. We had all our change bank bags on a cart (a big bank bag of quarters is heavy). When he hoisted a bag off the cart, you kinda suck in your gut, well my uncles 1911 slipped down his pants leg and clattered on the bank floor. The old security guard didn't know to Sh _ _, or go blind. Before we knew it three additional had S&W's pointed at us. My uncle loudly proclaimed we were "Making a deposit". It was kinda' tense for a few seconds. Those were the days, if you shot at a bad guy cops never asked questions.
Last edited by rottenrick on December 1st, 2009, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Post by martilyo »

I love my M1! I have a wall mount for it that I bought from The Sportsman's Guide so it's loaded and ready when I need it. Mine is also an IJ model with the metal heat shield. I have seen wooden shields at gun shows, but I'll keep the metal. Makes it look bada$$.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Martilyo, how is the accuracy of your Iver Johnson?
G.R.
electross

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Post by electross »

Gunney,
I have two M1 carbines, one a National Postal Meter and the other an Inland. Both shoot ok. The NPM shoots about six inches at one hundred yards with me behind the trigger. Not sure about the Inland as I have just bought it and not made it to the range yet. Ammo is the biggest problem. Its expensive and hard to find. I have some in reserve but will begin reloading it after the first of the year. Accuracy should improve. (I hope) Not seen an Iver Johnson.
electross

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Post by electross »

Gunney,
One more thing I almost forgot. Aim surplus has 15 round mags for 10 bucks. They are Korean and feed as well as originals. I believe thats about the best deal going.