P64 Help

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
conscript47

P64 Help

Post by conscript47 »

Hello all,

I came across a very nice looking (99% plus blue, excellent barrel) P-64 today for only $100 out the door. Problem- no recoil spring, no right grip panel, and it won't release the hammer when the trigger is pulled.

Due to the right grip panel being MIA, I was able to take a look. I have never detail stripped a P64 before, but I am familiar with Makarovs and Walther designs. On this pistol, it looked like the disconnector (flat piece in front of trigger bar) was in the wrong place- it was hanging out in front of the trigger bar, instead of fitting in the grove of it.

I assume this is incorrect?

It looks like an easy fix, but I haven't picked the pistol up yet (it is on hold) so I was just wondering if anyone had advice.

Additionally, does anyone know of a source for original grips? I am going to get a new Wolf recoil spring and probably a new hammer spring as well, and if I am correct, when I take the hammer bar out to swap the hammer spring I can just slide the disconnector back in the slot... correct?

If anyone has a clear picture of the left or right side of their P64 with no grip on, that would also help me see if there are parts missing.

Not to be so demanding on the first post, I just want to get this nice pistol back to the way it belongs. Thank you all for any help!
lagavulin62

P64 Help

Post by lagavulin62 »

well I will try to help. I won't give any advice on mechanics of the gun, thats a question for norm. what I will say is this. if you could wittle the price down to say 75 dollars or less, it almost seems like it might make a good "parts gun" as there is nothing except aftermarket wolf springs available. you would still be without a gun until you bought another one but at least you would have a little assurance if you needed some hard to find part. no trust me, if you go this route the first two parts that will need replacing on your "usable" gun will no doubt be the right grip panel and possible a disconnector. it's a tough decision.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

P64 Help

Post by normsutton »

conscript47

download both of these

viewtopic.php?t=1536

ZEE makes excellent plastic grips (there are 4 pages to this thread )

viewtopic.php?t=1923

viewtopic.php?t=1923&start=45#27687

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
conscript47

P64 Help

Post by conscript47 »

I downloaded the PDF, and it looks very helpful- but can anyone post a picture of their gun assembled without grip panels on it, the left and right side? I doubt the shop will let me bring in a bunch of tools and detail strip the gun on their table, however, if I can do a basic look over to make sure all the parts are there, that is all that matters.

I know it is a bit of risk as there are some small parts that can be missing, I just want to be reasonably sure the big ones are there. Some of the smaller parts look like I could cut them from sheetmetal and hot blue them myself (I use lye salts at 280 degrees, works wonders) or make them from existing pins.

I posted in one of Zee's threads, do you know when he will be able to make grips again?

Thank you very much for the help!!!
Last edited by conscript47 on May 1st, 2009, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rfaudree

P64 Help

Post by rfaudree »

conscript47,there was a guy on ebay that had a set of original grips.The auction was over today,no bids.His ebay name is varny516jc.Im sure you could still get them.I think he wanted $27 for them.-Robert
pshootr

P64 Help

Post by pshootr »

I think that in the condition you describe $50 would be a more than fair price.
rfaudree

P64 Help

Post by rfaudree »

conscript47,Due to the fact that there are no parts for the P-64 I would jump on this.Tell the guy there are no parts available what would lowest price be.Negotiate for the lowest price and buy it.Then order a new one from J&G.Second I would buy it because you can have a machinest fabricate parts if you know what you need and by looking at the part list on this site you could get any decent gunsmith/machineest to make parts.I talked to my local guy and he said he could make any part of the gun.Good luck,Robert
rottenrick

P64 Help

Post by rottenrick »

conscript47, It sounds like a good plan. But what they're asking is too high. Fifty bucks is about right. As long as you have drawing's or a real talented machinist you can do anything. Sometimes people just like a challenge. Right now al you've lost is a little time, order one from J&G would be my advise. I might be wrong, but I don't think you'll be unhappy. But, that huckster is asking too much.
rfaudree

P64 Help

Post by rfaudree »

Here is a link to my photobucket with P-64 pics some with grips off.There are 2 or 3 pages and you can click on an pic to inlarge.Hope this helps,-Robert hhttp://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e107/robb7/ for some reason I couldnt get the link to highlight.Just copy and past the all the code and copy it to your address bar.I tride it and it works.I dont know why I coulnt get it to highlight.Can anyone tell me why
Last edited by rfaudree on May 2nd, 2009, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ipsd

P64 Help

Post by ipsd »

here are some pics for ya Image
Hope that helps
rfaudree

P64 Help

Post by rfaudree »

ipsd,what is that all over your gun in the top picture?It looks wet.Also he needs a pic of the other side of the gun.Thanks,Robert
conscript47

P64 Help

Post by conscript47 »

Thanks guys, using those pictures and the PDF, I found the problem- the spring, part #19, was not put in the slot on the trigger arm/lever, whatever you call it. As a result, the arm was not being pushed up, and was not contacting the sear when the trigger was pulled. No sear contact, no hammer fall.

All I need now is the grips. I want to order some Zee grips, but can't see the thread until I have at least ten posts... so in the meantime, any questions? I did go ahead and get the reduced power (by 2 pounds, I believe) hammer spring to reduce DA pull, and the increased strength recoil spring to make follow-up shots faster (and since weakening the hammer spring means the slide will move back faster, with less resistance when it cocks the hammer). I also use hotter surplus ammo, so it will help protect the frame.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

P64 Help

Post by normsutton »

conscript47

go here http://www.p64resource.com/ and then go to goods bottom of page

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
conscript47

P64 Help

Post by conscript47 »

I went to goods, all I saw were the springs- I should have clarified, the springs in the pistol are fine, the previous operator/user/whoever did not put the gun back together right, but the springs are all there.

Is there any other way to buy a pair of grips, or do I just keep talkin'?
conscript47

P64 Help

Post by conscript47 »

By the way- mine was made in 1976, is there anyone compiling data on these pistols with questions? The little things do grow on you, I bought it because it was a cheap project and now it looks to be wanting a little brother.