Original or Not?

Info, pictures, advice...
michaelap

Original or Not?

Post by michaelap »

I am curious with all the talk about altering the P-64 does anyone appreciate and love this gun in it's original form? I don't wish to offend folks here but does anyone else out there keep the P-64 original and adapt to it or does everyone change it to fit you. Just a thought and if someone really "loves" this gun as I hear so much, is it OK to redesign it?
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Original or Not?

Post by carguy »

I can't speak for others but one reason I love this little gun so much is that it just plane works and allows you to "personalize" it to work better for you. There is nothing wrong being a purist nor is it wrong to modify for your enjoyment.

I think modifying a firearm so it allows you to enjoy it more is sort of a tribute to the designers and the weapon. You are keeping it "alive" after it's usable life (determined by those that designed, manufactured and adopted it originally). I honestly believe that the P-64 following would probably be a third of what it currently is if no one was able to lighten the recoil etc.

Just my 2 cents...in this economy it not even worth 2 cents anymore, in fact I probably owe you a quarter... :'(
Last edited by carguy on April 30th, 2008, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Original or Not?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Michaelap,
Yes, I have two of them that I have left stock, they are very good guns and I enjoy shooting them the way they came from the armory. However, I do appreciate the reduced recoil and lighter trigger weight of my modified pistole too.
Gunney Rabbit.
donnerwetter58

Original or Not?

Post by donnerwetter58 »

I have two and both have had the springs changed out.
Both are also wearing flat left grips as a replacement to the thumb rest left grips.
Springs and grips are not permanent modifications so they can easily be returned to original.
The only thing they lack is a bayonet mount but I can live with that.
Happy shootin'
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Original or Not?

Post by anjdrifter »

I honestly believe that the P-64 following would probably be a third of what it currently is if no one was able to lighten the recoil etc.
I have to go with Carguy on this also. I loved the P64 the way it
came but with the help of everyone on this forum and especially, Norm, it opened a whole new interesting area for me to explore.
Taming the trigger pull and customizing it for my preference was just the start of my limited smithing. I never would have attempted anything with out all the help.It really fueled my addiction which is not a bad thing.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Original or Not?

Post by grayfox »

I have both stock & modified P-64s. Its still the best lil gun out there. :)
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Original or Not?

Post by anjdrifter »

yup
torpeau

Original or Not?

Post by torpeau »

michaelap wrote:I am curious with all the talk about altering the P-64 does anyone appreciate and love this gun in it's original form?
It's good to have more than one. Other than replacing recoil springs and getting some of Dennis's grips, my four are original -- except for the one I had chrome plated.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Original or Not?

Post by grayfox »

torpeau wrote:
michaelap wrote:I am curious with all the talk about altering the P-64 does anyone appreciate and love this gun in it's original form?
It's good to have more than one. Other than replacing recoil springs and getting some of Dennis's grips, my four are original -- except for the one I had chrome plated.
PICS, We need pics of the crome one :)
michaelap

Original or Not?

Post by michaelap »

I have to admit that I am torn, on one hand I have the feeling that I should enjoy it as and leave it alone tame it not tame me. However the other part wants to tinker and personalize. I have decided that I will leave it alone until I am certain. I do enjoy seeing the nice pics some folks have posted and the insight gained on the inner workings. I guess I will know when I know!
fcm018

Original or Not?

Post by fcm018 »

I pretty much HAD to modify mine (1971). In its original state, it was "unusable" by my definition in DA mode. I could BARELY pull the trigger using BOTH trigger fingers on BOTH hands, then only to very often set off a second unintentional shot immediately afterwards due to the hair trigger SA. After just a few magazines, my trigger finger (the one contacting the trigger) was bleeding!
Note: I'm not a 97-pound weakling, this thing was DANGED hard to shoot!!!

I came on this forum crying for help and received it with alacrity... Thanks again all, esp. Norm!

Clint
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Original or Not?

Post by normsutton »

I personalize all my guns I have never bought a gun even a brand spanking new gun that I didn't have to do something with it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Original or Not?

Post by papabear »

I've had five P-64's all together, today I just have two now, gave one to my son in law and and sold two, I didn't find it necessary to alter any of them with the exception of getting rid of the thumbrest grips that came on them, replace them all with either Zee or Dennis grips and have been totally happy with them ever since. I understand and don't have a problem with some that change the springs, to me that is a personal issue, and to each his own, but for me I like the mechanic's of the P-64 just the way it came with the exception of the grips. I CCW with one of my P-64's to this day and I have had the two I have now for over 2 years. I have not had the first problem with any of my 5 and I can honestly say I have put over 1,000 rds on each of them.

1976 w/Zee grips & Clipdraw my CCW

1969 w/Dennis grips my back up P-64

1972 w/Zee grips Sold with original thumbrest grips sold white grips with 1968.

1968 w/Zee grips Sold w/white grips

1973 w/Zee grips gave to son in law

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
electross

Original or Not?

Post by electross »

I have two and I've shot both of them with their original parts and springs, my second one shot well straight from the dealer. But before I knew it, I was changing the recoil spring, playing around with hammer springs and buffing area's to make it shoot, (in my opinion) better. Some have said that if you leave the original springs alone, that the DA will get better as the pistol breaks in. Don't know how many rounds that would take, but I took the express route. For me, part of the fun is tinkering with them. ;D
torpeau

Original or Not?

Post by torpeau »

grayfox wrote:We need pics of the crome one :)
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark