Holster Treatment Question

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
avery53

Post by avery53 »

Hi, I've been lurking here for awhile, reading all the great info on these little beauties.
I bought one of the holsters, complete with mag. and cleaning rod, from our Polish friend. I even asked him for a date to match my pistol (1972), and he obliged.
The holster is obviously brand new, and quite stiff.
Do you recommend putting leather treatment on them to soften them up, or will it soften up with use?
I've owned many pistols, but this is the first one with a holster, and I don't know about caring for one.

Thanks for any advice
avery53
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

They will soften up with use, but it will take a while. You really don't want an original holster to be too soft, but a little "lubricated". I use a light coating of Lexal on my holsters. Others have their favorite. The one thing you should not use is Neetsfoot oil if you want the holster to last a long time. Neetsfoot oil tends to break down the leather fibers over time, but it does soften them. Leather treatment is a very "touchy" subject with collectors! Any compund used to soften leather should be done lightly as you don;t want it mushy.
avery53

Post by avery53 »

Thanks, I'll leave it as is.