firing pin rotating

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
tylerkaplan

firing pin rotating

Post by tylerkaplan »

i just bought this gun yesterday and i'm already noticing an issue with the firing pin. it seems to be rotating when i flip the lever from safe to fire. when it rotates like this it locks the lever up so i can not switch from safe to fire. has anyone had a similar problem to this? if so are there any fixes?
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

firing pin rotating

Post by blinddog »

tylerkaplin, pull your slide off ( I am assuming you are talking about a P-64)once you have it off move your safety and check if there is a blockage. if not, then take your safety plunger out ( do this in a plastic bag) and ckeck the safety detents to see if they are the cluprits. (they look like cat eyes). There is a link on this forum that will show you exactly how to do it. I don't know how to move it. So if you look you will see where others have had the same problem. Good luck and happy to have you on the forum.Or just ask Norm..He has the smarts on almost every pistol.
fritzhund

firing pin rotating

Post by fritzhund »

Read all of the post about cleaning and clean her well.

Welcome to the forum.

:)
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
rgbydand

firing pin rotating

Post by rgbydand »

I've got the same problem with my P-64 I just picked up last week. Only my pin rotates when I check the chamber about 15-20% of the time. Since the firing pin "L" hooks right, if I hold the pistol in my left hand, and point the ejection port down (thus the "L" is pointing down) it doesnt happen ( ???gravity keeping the "L" in place?). I'd really rather trust my eyes and hold the pistol upright, but its annoying to have to get a screwdriver to push the "L" back into place so it will fit into the slot, and I can disengage the safety. Does this mean my firing pin spring is weak and work out??

P.S.
My pistol was disassembed and cleaned thoroughy the second I got home with it
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

firing pin rotating

Post by normsutton »

Last edited by normsutton on February 4th, 2008, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
tylerkaplan

firing pin rotating

Post by tylerkaplan »

Thanks for all the replies. A lot of you are pointing me in the direction of safety plungers though.
before i posted last night i disassembled the gun completely and my safety plunger looks just how it should with a rounded tip and all the notches in the lever also appear as they should. rgbydand's problem is identical to mine, and is also described more clearly than mine might i add. This seems to be a firing pin issue. As that L of the firing pin drops down how it shouldn't be it locks up the safety lever.
rgbydand

firing pin rotating

Post by rgbydand »

I agree Tyler. My issue isnt a worn plunger or spring. The safety clicks solid on my pistol, and doesnt have an issue causing it to 'drop' from fire to safe. The issue is actually the opposite. its the pin 'L' rotating down out of the safety slot, and thus blocking the safety from disengaging. I've read both threads linked and didn't find anything to help our particular problem. Now please keep in mind I am NO WHERE NEAR the expert Norm is. From the threads I've read here he seems to be one of the predominant experts here. At this point I chock it up to my inexperience with the innards and how things work. I checked out the P64 manual .pdf file here hoping there'd be an exploded view to help me. Perhaps there is a missing plastic 'cap' that is supposed fit in the slot to hold the firing pin 'L' in place that pops out, and our pistols are missing them???
tylerkaplan

firing pin rotating

Post by tylerkaplan »

who knows man, my best guess right now is that either the firing pin is possibly worn a bit to much on that L tip allowing it to finagle itself loose, or possibly the firing pin spring not being stiff enough to keep That L in place against the safety lever.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

firing pin rotating

Post by normsutton »

I have 4 P-64's and I can't get the firing pin to rotate in any of them, the back of the firing pin is square in fits in the safety block witch is square too , so I don't know what your talking about, give me a call my phone # is at
http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1179953781

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
tylerkaplan

firing pin rotating

Post by tylerkaplan »

i think you just nailed it norm. I looked carefully at the back of my firing pin and it is not square. one edge is rounded out. so hopefully a new firing pin does the trick
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

firing pin rotating

Post by normsutton »

tylerkaplan

got a call from rgbydand this afternoon , after talking about the problem it might be weak firing pin spring so he is going to try that

PARTS

http://www.tnguns.com/shop/index.php?ma ... x&cPath=19

SPRINGS
http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/PolishNF.html

SAFETY DETENT SPRINGS
http://www.gunsprings.com/GenPurp/SemiAutoGPNF.html

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
tylerkaplan

firing pin rotating

Post by tylerkaplan »

i'm about to do the same. thanks for your assistance on this issue norm
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

firing pin rotating

Post by normsutton »

tylerkaplan

I try

I wish I had one of these slides that you guts are talking about in my hands then I know I'd could come up with the answer

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
rgbydand

firing pin rotating

Post by rgbydand »

Tyler, I want to add that when replicating the problem with my slide off today I noticed that when you have this condition, and you try to move the safety, the pin SLIDES FORWARD INTO THE CHAMBER a bit under the pressure. Luckily I havent had this condition with a round chambered, but I wanted to warn you. If this happens with a round in there, and the pin moves enough, you might get an unexpected discharge!!! It scared the crap outta me when I saw that and knew right away I had to warn you. I also have to say Norm warned me not to dry fire because the herculean spring pressure from the hammer hitting the safety block can cause cracks. While on the phone with Norm I indeed saw a hairline stress crack, and will be ordering a replacement safety as a result.

Norm, I want to say thanks for taking the time to talk to me on the phone and try and figure out the issue, even though you couldn't see my pistol. You truly are a gentleman.
tylerkaplan

firing pin rotating

Post by tylerkaplan »

haha its funny you mentioned that because i did have a misfire, thats why i was searching for forums to help fix the problem. luckily i had it pointed away from my electronics and the result was only a chunk out of the basement foundation.