Wolff Spring Problem

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
fritzhund

Wolff Spring Problem

Post by fritzhund »

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems installing a Wolff 22lb recoil spring on a P-64.

I replaced the hammer spring with a Wolff replacement with no problem.

I replaced the firing pin included with the new recoil spring with no problem.

When I attempted to replace the original recoil spring with the Wolff spring, I was unable to engage the slide. I attempted this several times. I re-installed the original recoil spring with no problem.

Thanks for any input. I have contacted Wollf as well.

Mark
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
stibnite

Wolff Spring Problem

Post by stibnite »

Mark -

This has been a common complaint on this site for the 22lb Wolff spring. Do some searching on this site and you will find others saying the same thing. I have installed a couple 20lb springs with no problem.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Wolff Spring Problem

Post by manicmechanic »

Welcome to the forum fritzhund, and once you flatten the ends of the spring you'll be all set. Enjoy and shoot safe and often!! 8-)
fritzhund

Wolff Spring Problem

Post by fritzhund »

Thanks everyone.

I will get the Dremel and the oil can out tonight! I didn't think that I was the only one that had this problem. I wonder why Wolff has not included any specifics about installing this spring.......
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wolff Spring Problem

Post by gunneyrabbit »

fritzhund,
Wolff springs offers a set of three increased power springs of different weights for under $10.00 plus shipping, please take advantage of that offering. Many of us have inserted the 22lb. spring just to find that the single action pull is way to lite even for the gun range and have gone back to the factory or slightly heavier springs.
Gunney Rabbit.
royke

Wolff Spring Problem

Post by royke »

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems installing a Wolff 22lb recoil spring on a P-64.

I replaced the hammer spring with a Wolff replacement with no problem.

I replaced the firing pin included with the new recoil spring with no problem.

When I attempted to replace the original recoil spring with the Wolff spring, I was unable to engage the slide. I attempted this several times. I re-installed the original recoil spring with no problem.

Thanks for any input. I have contacted Wollf as well.

Mark
I replaced recoil springs on 3 P-64 pistols. The 1st one required
grinding the ends very lightly to permit the slide to be reassembled onto the frame while the next 2 went right into the pistol with no problems.
drogers

Wolff Spring Problem

Post by drogers »

I have found if the slide stop lever hangs down it can interfere with the slide going on. I make sure it is tucked up and in.
greenhead55

Wolff Spring Problem

Post by greenhead55 »

I would like to thank every one for all the useful information. I bought a P-64 a couple of months ago before I found this page.

At a local gun shop/range I test fired three P-64s and two Walther PPKs with three different types of ammo. I decided on the P-64 for four reasons

1. Reliability the PPKs did not want to feed all ammo right but the P-64 had no trouble even with JHPs.

2. Accuracy was much better with the P-64.

3. 9X18mm vs 380 a little more power since I will use this as a carry gun in the summer.

4. Price about a $300 difference.

My draw backs with the P-64 were the DA trigger and the recoil although I thought that is was manageable. This is were the thanks comes in I took the advise from this page and installed a wolf 22# recoil spring (I had to grind just a bit off one end to get it to fit right) and a new 18# hammer spring. I took the Gun to the range yesterday and what a difference the recoil is now very manageable but the DA trigger is still hard but much better with time I think it will break in fine. I am happy to see others enjoying this great little fire arm since I take some grief at the range from PPK owners but the P-64 usually out shoots them any way thanks again.

I do not know how to get the firing pin spring out to replace I tried the links on this page but the server must have been down. I wish I could find a rubber Houge style grip for the P-64.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Wolff Spring Problem

Post by manicmechanic »

Go to the last couple of posts in the manual thread, there you'll find 2 new links just updated last week. And also WELCOME!!

Okay, here are good permalinks to these files:
Parts list: http://p64resource.com/board/P64_Parts_List.pdf
Assembly guide: http://p64resource.com/board/P64_Assembly.zip

Thanks to Troy for these files. Simply great.
greenhead55

Wolff Spring Problem

Post by greenhead55 »

Thanks manicmechanic
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Wolff Spring Problem

Post by blinddog »

Welcome to the club fritzhund and when are you going to get your next P-64? One will never do, or two or three or.......