firing not reaching cartrige

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
grinder

Post by grinder »

I just purchased a 1976 and the firing pin is not hitting the cartridge enough causing misfires. Anybody having this problem?
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Grinder, NOBODY here has had a firing pin problem. Like most newbies, you haven't mentioned the ammo type(probably Wolf), or whether you did a thorough cleaning and lube before shooting your pistol.
Give us a little more to work with. Hard primers on old Russian ammo could be the only problem. If not, just give us more details.
grinder

Post by grinder »

not ammo, you can push firing pin in and see it dosen't reach out far enough.
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Is it occasional misfires?
grinder

Post by grinder »

also, using 100g Wolf , the firing pin mark is not deep on cartridge, pin looks as no damage on its ends and also I'm using original hammer spring.
grinder

Post by grinder »

no, not occasional , almost every time.
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

It's probably the 100 gr wolf ammo, and a P-64 that hasn't been cleaned with brake cleaner( after removing the grips).
Didn't you read my response? READ MY LIPS! HARD PRIMERS ON OLD WOLF AMMO MADE FOR MACHINE GUNS!
This small pistol was designed for 90-95 gr pistol ammo. Get the right ammo.
grinder

Post by grinder »

yes it is very clean. But shouldn't the firing pin reach past where the cartridge lays. the pins reach is barely .004 . Also tried mak 95g ammo...
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Have you taken the safety out and removed the firing pin, looked at the firing pin spring to make sure it's not fouled, etc. ???

stibnite, not an expert just trying to facilitate
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Grinder, you could have the ONLY P-64 with a bad firing pin, but I doubt it. Try spraying brake cleaner or the more expensive gun degreaser into the firing pin channel, with the little plastic tube that comes with the can, or with WD-40.

Most P-64's haven't had a problem shooting ANYTHING, including the heavy for pistol stuff. Main complaints have been the recoil with stuff over 95 grs of mass, and the rotten DA trigger pull, that is easily remedied for a few bucks.

And what's the 95 gr ammo you tried?

Stan
Last edited by b52stan on October 19th, 2006, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

Ive never had a problem with wolf ammo, or any other kind of ammo for that matter.

Grinder, have you removed the firing pin? There may be a bur in the firing pin channel, or on the pin itself, that by simply spraying brake cleaner through won't remove. The firing pin could also just be to short (maybe somebody in the pistols 30 year life replaced the pin with an out of spec. or completely wrong pin altogether) or the firing pin spring is kinked inside the channel.
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

(maybe somebody in the pistols 30 year life replaced the pin with an out of spec. or completely wrong pin altogether)
or a replacement firing pin spring, god knows they're easy to lose.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

I just checked using my own P-64. I used the un-sharpened end of a No. 2 pencil, but if you only have sharpened pencils laying around you could use the eraser end if it is new and square. If you lock the slide back and press the pencil against the firing pin, avoiding all projections on the slide, the f/p does protrude slightly from the breach face of the slide. I'd say more than .004", but not a whole lot. It really shouldn't matter though how far it protrudes in this test because it is an inertia firing pin that can move as far forward as it needs to. Try pressing the f/p forward using a tool that is smaller in diameter than the f/p. You should be able to push it almost 1/2" out of the slide. Does the f/p slide forward easily? If the f/p slides freely forward well beyond the end of the slide, and then smartly retracts itself, the f/p and its spring are not your problem. Do you have light strikes in both double action and single action firring? Does your double action trigger pull seem to be very heavy (it should be) or is it pretty normal for a double action semi automatic? It is always possible that someone either substituted a lighter hammer spring or intentionally or otherwise left out the hammer spring spacer that is supposed to be located on the hammer strut above the spring. If you remove the grips you can gain access to the hammer spring and hammer strut. I am thinking that you have a weak hammer spring, either because it is just too weak or it is missing the spacer.
grinder

Post by grinder »

The case of the firing pin problem is solved . It was debris around the dowel pin on the firing pin. Cleaning did the trick but what a job to put back in . thank for all your help.
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Grinder,
Glad we could help. This pistol is so solid and forgiving, that I have never seen a problem that was not easily fixed, unless carelessly caused by the owner. Yours was one of the toughest that brake cleaner may or may not have solved.

Enjoy this great carry piece, and if you choose to remedy the atrcious DA trigger pull, the remedy is cheap and easy. It's here on the board if you want it.

Stan