JUST put in the 16lb hammer spring from wolf

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
novgarod

JUST put in the 16lb hammer spring from wolf

Post by novgarod »

Marktx - you are right to be concerned about the lighter springs. Dry firing is not an adequate comparison to shooting your modified P-64 under outside range conditions. There were three variations of the CZAK during its production and I have noticed DA/SA differences on the range between my 1968 and 1975 versions, even tho they were both unfired at purchase.

I have fired 150 rounds thru my 1975 with the 18# lb Wolff spring (ordered the PPK pkg of 16,17,18 & 19#) and I have compared the DA/SA of this CZAK to my EG Mak and SMC-918 in another thread. In addition to my report of an accidental discharge, another forum member has mentioned an accidental discharge with the lighter 16# spring. In my case, the temperature at the range was 42 degrees, my fingers were cold, and I could not feel SA trigger without the pistol firing.

I have since changed out the 18# spring for the 20# original PPK spring and then fired over 100 rounds at a range temperature of 36 degrees. The SA pull was still very smooth; however I could feel the trigger prior to firing. In other words, I had control of the pistol under the firing conditions of the day. I did have one light primer hit when I let the pistol cock itself from the previous round. The round fired normally when rechambered. I have not experienced any light primer hits with my unaltered 1968 CZAK (~ 125 rounds thru this pistol thus far).

So, I am not going to make any recommendation for a particular main spring weight. Are you going to use your CZAK only at the range or is it to be your carry weapon? For the latter case, just make sure that any modifications made still permit your total firing control - and I emphasize the word CONTROL. Be SAFE out there. :D
Last edited by novgarod on February 14th, 2006, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.