Can't get Wolff recoil spring installed

Info, pictures, advice...
Frank N. Stein

Re: Can't get Wolff recoil spring installed

Post by Frank N. Stein »

I just took my P64 to the range today and wow, I'm very impressed. Only malfunction it had was when I accidentally rode the slide when chambering a round. Other than that it feed Silver Bear and Brown Bear with no problems at all. Also, the accuracy of this gun was ridiculous, I was able to hit a few metal duck targets at 50 yards and I'm not even a great shot! My brother who went with me was also extremely impressed and couldn't believe how well it shot for the price I paid.

Double action is still a bit of a task but it's still not horrid as I could hit targets with it at 10 yards. Single action was crisp and clean. It looks like the 18 lb. main spring and 20 lb. recoil are a great combo too. Even though recoil is snappy it is actually quite fun to shoot! Whoever said this gun is not a range gun must need to change the recoil spring because we both had tons of fun with this gun!
Wile E. Coyote

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

dfunk wrote:The firing pin spring is included with the recoil spring (which is not necessary to begin with) to maintain proper timing of the firing pin to retract back when the slide moves rearward.
Quite right,
I do believe that's what the official edict says re: replacement of the firing pin spring. Changing to a stronger recoil spring may (adversely) affect the firing timing cycle and I suspect that is why that Wolff included the stronger firing pin spring to keep things balanced.

IF you decide to replace it, perform the task in an enclosure (such as a large transparent [heavy duty} storage bag, or something similar). The plunger that serves as the safety positional detent can launch itself into oblivion (or at least lose itself in a cluttered work area). NOTE: I am speaking from first hand experience and the "armchair gunsmithing angel", must've took pity on me and pointed out the plunger's location almost immediately... I know I'm not "lucky" to find things like that on my own anyway.

:wink:
Wile E.
Wile E. Coyote

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

lklawson wrote:
Wile E. Coyote wrote:The 9x18 is only barely more potent than the .380ACP, but not enough to make a fuss over.
rom "Jonnin" on the KTOG forum[/url]:
http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/bcompare.cgi to compare the ammo.

9x18 standard loads are equal to 380 defense loads. 9x18 defense loads are very close to 9x19 (standard 9mm) target loads.

The chart from the site gives averages:

type vel nrg grains
1. .380 Auto (9mm Kurtz) 890 183 105
2. 9 x 18 Makarov 995 216 98
3. 9mm Luger (Parabellum) 1145 346 121

with the weakest 9mm energy being about 290 and the strongest mak being 275. The strongest 380 is almost 200 and the second weakest mak is 175. (I do not believe the 75 energy mak entry is correct, maybe its a safety slug or something really odd).

The internet mak reloading data that I encounterd suggested that the SAAMI data for the mak is lowball because some of the FEG pistols cannot handle much more pressure safely. Better maks (east german, etc) can handle loads very close to standard 9mm. I cannot vouch for this and have not tried to make a stouter loading. Proceed with caution!
Greetings!

I should have perhaps clarified things. I was referring to average figures and (US made) factory ammo. Not any +P's, +P+'s, or other higher pressure munitions (which may include some "hotter" foreign made fodder). Paper ballistics can sometimes be misleading.

I compare ammo for penetration and disruptive effect, with 1" pine boards, water jugs, wet newsprint, boxes of packed "clean dirt" (not meant as a joke--it just means that I've filtered it to eliminate matter that might cause a deviation in the bullet path).

NOTE: I also try to be mindful that SAAMI has generally upped it's pressure maximums for most auto loading ammunition and cut way back on the classic magnum revolver rounds. (with some judicious reloading, the magnum revolver can still be a "magnum" as far as ammo is concerned. AND to me, an auto pistol, shouldn't be shooting +P ammo. If I want more power I should up the caliber and shoot standard pressure ammo. Just my way of making the firearm last longer and erring on the side of safety and common sense. (of course, if the gun is specifically built heavier to handle the +P stuff, then it ought to be labeled that way--why shoot the weaker standard ammo then...???)

Sorry, but I do tend to ramble on sometimes...
The 9x19mm Parabellum is considerably more potent than either .380ACP or 9x18Mak., but based on my research and comparison the two "short" 9mms are relatively the same.

Regards fellow shooter,
Wile E.

PS Only using paper ballistics, I can get the 9x19 to equal and surpass the .45ACP with regard to Kinetic Energy. But realistically, that big ol' .45 is still way ahead as far as stopping power.