Which Hammer Spring

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
3line

Which Hammer Spring

Post by 3line »

List,

Just bought a hammer spring kit and 20# recoil spring from Wolff. Was wondering what the strategy for the hammer spring replacement should be - heaviest that gives a tolerable double action pull or lightest that will reliably detonate the primer. I would of course like to optiimize "shootability" vs service life. Have searched the forum but don't really see a thread that addresses the best strategy.

Thanks,
Jeff
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Which Hammer Spring

Post by normsutton »

Jeff

WECOME

I like the 18 # hammer spring 20# recoil spring in mine

but its totally up to you
just make sure the gun is cleaned of all Cosmolin and re oiled

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
zbysiu23

Which Hammer Spring

Post by zbysiu23 »

I would go with the "heaviest...that gives you tolerable pull"
Try to keep it as close to original as you can..
So if you need to shorten it try to stay close to the original length
Same spring holds the mag so be very careful... also you need to stay in control in stress si,tuation do not want accidental discharge, consider the heavy pull an extra safety..adrenalin will make you stronger and less in control ..it is always good not to shoot your own behind...and for lets say a child should be imposible to squeeze, most of all the spring has to keep the mag in the place...
greetings
Last edited by zbysiu23 on April 14th, 2007, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saands

Which Hammer Spring

Post by saands »

+1 on the heaviest that works for you ... the 14# PP springs will reliably detonate most types of 9x18 ammo ... but will spontaneously eject mags upon firing :o ... I started out with the 16#PP spring and tried the 18 ... now I use a 20# P64 mainspring from Wolff ... it is still WAAAAAY better than stock and doesn't have the downsides of the lighter mainsprings.

Saands