Duracoat Refinishing P-64 and Mak Available

Info, pictures, advice...
brigade

Post by brigade »

Getting ready to Duracoat my first P-64 matte black . Gonna do the grips too i think. First I am gonna sand blast it with the alum-oxide 120 then parkerize then duracoat as they recommend. If this works well then I will do all my P-64's and all my Maks. Anyone else do this? Not looking forward to putting it back to gether when done though. Image
Last edited by brigade on April 13th, 2007, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Thanks for the exploded view TTH! 8-)
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

for advanced puzzle builders only :)
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Wow Great pic !! Thanks !! now i know what it all looks like haha that is better than the drawings i have seen ! Kewlies. G
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Do you plan pics of the "work in progress"? I'd like to see a parkerized P-64. That miht be different.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

Let us know how it goes. They sell a lot of durcoat at KC, may just have to get some. BTW, how in the hell are you going to get all those parts back together? I'd end up throwing them in the river after a few days.
brigade

Post by brigade »

I am not sure how to put it back together. Patience and referencing my other P-64 should allow me to get it together when it is done. Yes I will show work in progress for you guys. I suppose after doing about 4 of these and some makarovs I will be pretty good at it. I am thinking of doing a desert camoflouge on the grips.
brigade

Post by brigade »

brigade

Post by brigade »

brigade

Post by brigade »

brigade

Post by brigade »

Gonna go and blast with aluminum oxide this weekend. I will take photos during the process.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Man TTH !! that camera is niiiiice !! thanks for the great Work ! G
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Sorry but my lack of experience is showing. By blasting are you actually like "sand blasting" the current finsih off of the metal? Will this take down the import mark etc and smooth any roiuh spots or just remove thr finish (combination of chemical reaction and the blasting)??

I understand parkerizing is a chemical process then duracoat. Again sorry but I just don't know exactly, what is duracoat? Like a bluing (chemical process) or more like a coating?

I really love this, I don't think I'd have the nerve (or the intelligence) to dismantel to this degree and do what you're proposing! The subject of my attempt would end up doubling in cost as I'd have to pay someone to re-assemble...if I ever got that far.

Cool.
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Great pics!

How about the trigger guard tho, doesn't it come off too? With it should be the take-down spring & plunger, maybe it's there and I don't recognize it.

stibnite
brigade

Post by brigade »

Sorry but my lack of experience is showing. By blasting are you actually like "sand blasting" the current finsih off of the metal? Will this take down the import mark etc and smooth any roiuh spots or just remove thr finish (combination of chemical reaction and the blasting)??

I understand parkerizing is a chemical process then duracoat. Again sorry but I just don't know exactly, what is duracoat? Like a bluing (chemical process) or more like a coating?

I really love this, I don't think I'd have the nerve (or the intelligence) to dismantel to this degree and do what you're proposing! The subject of my attempt would end up doubling in cost as I'd have to pay someone to re-assemble...if I ever got that far.

Cool.
Sand blasting with aluminum oxide 120 is what is recommended for parkarizing and then "Duracoating" It will be my first time doing it and from what happened when I did it was really cool. It basically sanded off a thin layer to white steele. I will post pictures. I did the grips too and duracoated them. So cool to re-do those shiny scratchy grips. I can do them in just about any color I guess. I will post some more pictures. And yes Duracoat is a very tough coating sprayed onto a newly blasted surface ideally you should parkerize first for best results from what I was told.
Last edited by brigade on April 7th, 2007, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.