Things Not to do at the range!

Info, pictures, advice...
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

A buddy of mine and I went to the range today for the first time in two weeks, the with drawl was something horrible and I needed a fix, you know ,you got the picture. Well I did something really stupid today, I took both my little Polish Princes with 250 rounds of Wolf ammo and my Kel-Tec P11 with a 40SW conversion installed and 100 rounds of Winchester 40SW fmj ammo. I shot up the 40SW ammunition just to get a feel for the conversion and I was pleased, big mistake. When I got to the second box of 9x18 ammo I realized that my hand was starting to get a little uncomfortable. By the time I was finished with the second box it down right hurt not to mention the rather interesting red streak that had appeared over the top of the flesh between the thumb and forefinger. Now we had only been there about an hour and I wasn't about to go home yet so I shot a third box of Wolf ammunition. The last time my hand hurt that bad was when I bought a box of +p+ 357 mag that I shot through a rented 2.25 inch Ruger SP101. OK, here I sit with my hand in a bowl tepid water with a packet of BLUE BORO antiseptic dissolved in it. I've taken 800mg of Ibuprofen and I hope I'm going to feel better soon............... G.R.
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

Hey was'nt someone wanting to know the effect of the P-64 on a human being? There you go . ;D
Last edited by redfestiva on March 27th, 2007, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
nicksterdemus

Post by nicksterdemus »

"Kel-Tec P11 with a 40SW conversion "

There's ya culprit. 2 much oomph n not enough weight 2 absorb recoil. Little high powered pocket rockets weren't designed 4 lots of recreational shooting. While I don't wish 2 get in2 a gn debate the lighter boolets tend 2 be easier on the anatomy of the shooter.................................

My S&W CS40 w/3.25" brl is clunky n funky n will dwarf the Keltec in size n weight n still @ range it's a hoot 2 shoot coz it has the mass 2 protect the shooter. Last range outing Sunday found the 64 in the vault but the oldie moldie nickel 5" ran thru a box of 38spl n 4 a change I left the 40 lite loads n rock n rolled w/50 rnd full power in the 10 ought-six. Just west of Hot Springs n barely south of lake Ouachita I had the hills rollin' w/thunder double tappin. Once again I was the only person there 2 bust the serenity of an otherwise tranquil morning. Sadly it didn't take long 2 chew up $30 worth of ammo.................
Last edited by nicksterdemus on March 27th, 2007, 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I know it was a silly thing to do but it sure was fun to see the holes actually visibly print out there at 50 odd feet, instant satisfaction and you don't have to crank the wheel to get the targets to return quite so often. However, the recoil was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Not near as sharp as the P64, I think the heavier springs that came with the new slide, increased mass and corrected stance that I have gone to with all of my light handguns has made a big difference in perceive recoil. Don't get me wrong, you are right, I still don't want to shoot up 200 rounds of the stuff at one range session.
G.R.

PS,
The red streak on the back of my hand looks much better today, and doesn't sting near as much.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on March 27th, 2007, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

the first time I took my mistress to the range it was a shock and for the first 2 minutes thought I had made a big mistake. but after looking at the target and getting used to it it became my favorite.. the next morning woke up with sore hand but now must have adjusted grip or something because dont even notice the bite. Yes I have drawn blood sometimes after about 2 0r 3 hundred rounds but never know which one of the three 64s or PA 63 did it.. you will learn to love the 64.. this doesnt even count the easy hide ability
Last edited by anjdrifter on March 27th, 2007, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kempin

Post by kempin »

'crazy little thing called love . . .
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

At the range I wear a glove. In a gunfight, you won't feel it at all.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

As a rule I'm not affected by the short sharp recoil of the .380 or the 9x18. I do think that I'm going to trick one out to see what can be done to doll it up and to tame it down a bit. I'm not sure that a heavier recoil spring is the answer, how ever a double weave spring may work just fine and there plenty out there for .380acp to choose from. It will take a little study and no doubt numerous attempts before I come up with an acceptable resolution. I have also given thought to doubling up on the springs with spacers similar to what Kahr, Colt and several of the other large manufacturers have done. Time will tell.......... G.R.
tmann11

Post by tmann11 »

As grayfox said, wear a glove at the range because you won't feel it if you need to use it, promise!

Gotta love the P-64, although she does bite a little.