Ammo Questions

Info, pictures, advice...
searcher36

Ammo Questions

Post by searcher36 »

Well, was suppose to go pick up my 64 today but snowed out. I was wondering what kind of ammo everybody uses? My dealer has a few different kinds. Hornady, S&B dont rember what else. I'm going to pick some up tomorrow when I pick up my pistol. I almost forgot, has anybody tried the Glaser Mak ammo?
Thanks
Rob
Last edited by searcher36 on March 15th, 2007, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Ammo Questions

Post by papabear »

Of what you mentioned, I'd go with the S&B, it should be cheaper and its a good all around ammo, I use it in my CCW P-64. I prefer FMJ ammo for one, that is what the P-64 was designed for and two, from what I have read and experienced the FMJ ammo gets much better penetration besides, IMO the 9x18 HP is not going to give that much "THUD" for stopping or knocking down a BG, I want the penetration to stop him permanently. This is just my $0.02 worth, to each his own.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Ammo Questions

Post by bzinggg »

I feel that way, too, when comparing the 94 grain stuff. I think the only Russian ammo with a hollow point that will get the job done is the Silver Bear 115gr. I believe that the lighter stuff doesn't move fast enough or have enough weight. However, the Hornady round seems to have good terminal performance according to what I have read.

Add quote from recent post: Re: Wolff Springs
« Reply #34 on Mar 13, 2007, 10:59pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Well, I think the idea behind the HP is that is would spread rather quickly and deposit all the energy in a shallow fashion for a more disabling effect than the FMJ. I'm not sure that the bullet has the velocity to do this in the 9x18 offering, but I damn sure don't want to be shot with it anyway. Under a 100 feet, it probably makes a fairly disruptive wound channel."

That, just to make things perfectly clear. ;D
Last edited by bzinggg on March 15th, 2007, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Ammo Questions

Post by nbender »

Hello searcher:

The question would be easier to answer if I knew what you were looking for. Are you going to hit targets, or use this for self defense? The options vary in price. Dealer ammo is generally pretty expensive compared to deals on the internet.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ammo Questions

Post by garry »

Hello ,My Ammo choice for targets and plinking is the S&B because it is pretty straight shooting and consistent ---IN MY GUN--- it is a great budget choice. The Hornady stuff is fine most of the time also, and cheaper.
nbender said it all above. the online Ammo is definitely less $$. I have just started to hand load my own and it will be cheaper yet i hope. i would say anything you can afford to shoot should be purchased and enjoyed ! they will make more ! i am doing some experimenting with as many type/manufacturers as i can find and unfortunately KC area seems like the same group owns ALL of the gun shops around town, so, i am starting to reload ! but of course i will still buy what i can when something new comes to town so i can try to duplicate it. heehee Garry
nicksterdemus

Ammo Questions

Post by nicksterdemus »

The better ammo seems 2 burn cleaner but I don't mind gettin nasty n cheap! I've read that 4 a 9mm ya have 2 exceed 1000'ps in order 2 reliably expand HP's. Lots of variables as well as arguments that I don't mind postin' but try not 2 defend................