Need input ASAP for Wolff!

Info, pictures, advice...
vermonter

Post by vermonter »

As per these posts and replies please give your opinion so I can Call/Email John on Monday, it may be of help to him based on our trial and error "research" with different PPK springs(what weight worked best - no mag drops, safe S/A pull, better D/A pull):

Email FROM WOLFF 3/2/07:
We should have both hammer springs (factory and reduced) and recoil springs (factory and extra power) available for the P64 by the end of next week or the middle of the following week at the latest.
Best Regards,
John Andrews
Wolff Gunsprings

POST BY TRUTH:
Oh, Boy!! I can't wait to have my clips drop prematurely...

POSTED BY VERMONTER: Truth,
I have heard of this (mag drop) with the 16# and some 18# PPK hammer springs. Do you think there is some balance short of the factory spring weight that will not cause clips to drop, have a safe S/A pull, but also improve D/A pull to some degree... and not cause the hammer to hit as hard causing possible cracks in the safety during dry fire? I need input on this from you guys so I can Email John on Monday. Someone who has replaced hammer springs must have an idea where the "sweet spot" is for hammer springs. Perhaps he can translate our findings using the different PPK weights to a workable weight in an engineered spring for the P-64.
Last edited by vermonter on March 3rd, 2007, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

VERMONTER

I have never heard of one mag drop with the 18# ppk spring in the P-64 only on the 16# and I have a 15# PA-63 recoil spring in 2 of my P-64's , if WOLLF makes a recoil spring for the P-64 I think people will be able to use it in the FEG BR-61's as well

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on March 3rd, 2007, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
115grfmj

Post by 115grfmj »

Me either......I've put the 18# ppk spring in and after hundreds of rounds I've never experienced a mag drop. Locks up like a bank vault.
vermonter

Post by vermonter »

Great, I think they are serious about tooling up this week. I will pass on this info to Wolff, and post as soon as they are ready !
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Vermonter, I have 2 with the 16# and two with the 17#.
Never had mag drop with any of them.

Stan
steve98664

Post by steve98664 »

I have never had a mag drop, but I have had the light trigger result in back to back firing that I would rather not have... I make sure my pull through is complete now and others who've fired mine at the range have been so informed. I may go for the 18#, but now I'll wait to see what Wolff comes up with. If they come out with a new recoil spring, it may affect whether a 16# or 18# is better.

The lighter trigger has made my P64 one of my most accurate.
saands

Post by saands »

I replied to a different post, but this is my 2 cents worth:
When I first tried the PP/PPK springs, I took a factory spring out of a PP and IT was an improvement to the DA ... I think that a factory standard is 20# ... I now use 19# PP/PPK springs in all of mine and I haven't had any issues at all ... even in the pistols that DID drop the mag with the 14# and 16# springs. I'd think that 19 or 20 is where I'd recommend that they start.
Saands
nicksterdemus

Post by nicksterdemus »

Would an increased power recoil spring have an effect on the mag drop some have experienced w/light mainsprings?
I would focus on creating a heavier recoil spring per Wolf Gunsprings guidelines in their FAQ:...If your casings are hitting the ground in the 3-6' range, then the recoil spring is approximately correct...
That should be your standard spring w/92-95 gn bullet @ 950-1000'ps. Heavier duty would be 2 -/&/or 4lb more.
Use the new standard recoil to determine if mag drop still exists @ 14, 16lb. I'm thinking it'll be nonexistent as the slide will not hammer the frame w/stiffer recoil spring & I think that's what contributes/induces mag drop.
Not every1 wants the 20lb DA "safety" feature. It has a decocker.
saands

Post by saands »

Nickster ... with respect to the issue of not everyone wanting a 20# DA, I think that you are right ... but folks still have the whole range of PP mainsprings to work with ... all the way from 20# down to 13# ... so noone should be left out in the rain.

Your thoughts on the beefier recoil spring taking care of the spontaneous mag drop are right in line with mine ... I think that the mag drop and much of the stinging from the recoil comes from the slamming of the slide into the frame. I am looking forward to getting whatever extra stiffness in the recoil spring that I can!

Saands
nicksterdemus

Post by nicksterdemus »

I'm guessing they'll use Walther mainsprings coz they work n then all they have 2 work on is the recoil springs. We'll see what shakes...............