When I took the slide off of my P64

Info, pictures, advice...
cz83

Post by cz83 »

I saw brown stuff on the disconnector, trigger bar and so on... I couldn't tell if it is rust or some cosmolene. I bought the gun new in excellent condition (I think). The barrel has no scratches at all. The gun is soaking with gun oil. Does anybody encounter the same thing on their P64? ??? I clean it up with dry cloth and put on Hoppes. Some part clean up nicely and some area are still brownish. I'll try some aggressive cleaing this weekend.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I have seen this "goop" on other Milsurp weapons. Usually it is a combination of old grease, and oil that that was put on by someone for sea shipment. This is just speculation on my part, but I have not had any rust showing after cleaning it off. You are correct about it sticking to the metal, sometime it is tough to remove, and it sure does have a foul odor!
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

This is typical of every P-64 I've seen in NiB condition. It will come off and will not lead to rusting once removed. I also think it's a combination of packing grease and a crap-load of oil for long-term storage and/or shipment. I do not think it's cosmoline - if it is, it's way diluted with oil. I wouldn't get out the industrial size can of elbow grease to aggresively clean it off - it won't hurt anything and won't be seen.
cz83

Post by cz83 »

I'm glad its not rust! I'll just clean it lightly then. I was really ready to tackle it with all my heavy duty cleaning potions. Thanks guys!!!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

The last Makarov I bought, a Bulgarian, was so full of cosmoline I decided to soak it in gasoline! I know, it is dangerous, so if you are desperate, it works, but BE CAREFUL!!

Once I soaked it, there was some of the this Brown "goop" still on some parts. I then took some Acetone and rubbed it off. At first I thought it was rust too, but just some old grease mixture. The part looked new when the "goop" came off.
mongo

Post by mongo »

you gonna hate this but completely disassemble that slide the firing pin, extractor spring well and safety spring well are full of that crap. I used SafetyKleen and just put everything in a small mesh basket.

Clean Clean Clean!