[Q] recoil reducing grips

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
worker

Post by worker »

Practicing with silver bear ammo really is hurting the web area of the shooting hand.

Therefore wanted to ask for board's recommendation
on recoil reducing grips, as the recoil is really severe
(and a heavier main spring is reducing the ability for many
people with weaker hands to slide the gun)

I saw a receint question by 'doctormike' about rubber grips -- but
I did not see any conclusive follow up.

I know one can wear the shooting gloves with recoil reducing padding --
and, yes, that actually works -- but it is not necessarely good practice
regiment for CCW.

I followed up on Pearce grips suggestion -- but their website
does not have anything available for p-64, only for Makarov's

http://www.pearcegrip.com/makarov.htm

also on the sidenote, CrossBreed holsters are not availabe for p-64.

thank you in advance for any suggestions
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

worker
there are no rubber grips for the P-64 maybe a slip on or you can take a bike inter tub and cut it to fit
we a lucky someone builds a wooden grips for P-64

hammer and recoil springs you can get from http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/PolishNF.html

just about any holster that fits a PPK will fit the P-64

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on December 5th, 2007, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

A Hogue rubber slip on grip and a different recoil spring may help but lets face it, a P-64 is a small pistol shooting a relatively potent cartridge. It's simple physics, this pistol has substantial recoil and there's no way around it. Little gun , big caliber = big recoil. The little Keltec P38T is cool little palm size pistol but with the .380 round it feels like a firecracker going off in your hand. If a person is recoil sensitive, I don't recommend the P-64. The P-64 is a well made, very hardy, reliable and accurate gun that is good for conceal carry but it does indeed pop with authority.
Kismet

Re: [Q] recoil reducing grips

Post by Kismet »

OK, well, Russ stopped making his grips two years ago, so I started screwing around with a (very) home-made cushioning set of grips.
Actually, all I've done so far is to get a thin bicycle tire, cut a section, then found some ?3/8th's? inch neopreme, cut a section about 1.5 in x 2 in, and wormed that in between the pistol's grip and the tube. It holds it securely so far.

There is a reduction of sorts, a better fit to my hand, and I'm encouraged enough to keep screwing with it, without going to the marketplace.

If it works for me, I'll let you know.

Be safe.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Finally got some (not -so-hot) pictures. I used a piece of old narrow bicycle inner-tube, worked a longer piece of neoprene rubber in it and tried it out. It was better but not great. I put a second, smaller piece on top of the first, sticking under the tube and over the first. My shoving it in caused the first piece to slide up a bit, but for trail runs, it was fine. Turned out, it was more than fine. By shoving the longer piece up, I'd created a tab that protected the web of my hand, while the thick pistol grip itself was doubled in thickness and filled my palm and absorbed much more recoil. It is still a prototype, but works well and makes the P-64 a pleasure to shoot--pretty much.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Not sure you can post pics here anymore as the site is broken.

But if you want you can post on gunboards.com by registering there if you are not a member already. There is a Makarov forum that is the subject for all things 9x18 caliber.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Thank you, Curly1.

I appreciate the information.

Kis