MFS ammo & other +P stuff in P-64

Info, pictures, advice...
vermonter

Post by vermonter »

I'm sure I will get flamed for this. I talked to two master armorers and one of the the top gunsmiths in my area. They all agreed to fire +P or anything over about 95 grains without installing a heavier ENGINEERED recoil spring from wolf may damage the frame of the dimunitive P-64. If you value your little Polish Gem wait until Wolff comes out with the PROPER spring. Believe me Wolff is serious about producing it. The have a small 10 man shop and they will get to it as soon as humanly possible. Stick to the standard velocity 93-95 grain rounds until then.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

MFS is a partner of FEG
http://www.fegarmy.hu/index.php?p=guns&lang=en

this ammo may mark +P but its not

check previous post

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 044&page=2
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Hey, why so paranoid about getting flamed? This seems to be a pretty moderate bunch here ...

I would totally agree that you shouldn't fire +P ammo in the P-64. Even a new spring wouldn't satisfy me. I'm not sure what level of expertise I'd accept before I'd fire +P in any of the models chambered for 9x18.

But it's my personal opinion that this is not +P to SAMMI standards. This round from MFS is even slightly slower than their last offering. As was mentioned here before, muzzle velocity is not the only indication of high pressure, but no one has reported buldged or cracked cases either. I will shoot this in my pistol, but others should decide their level of comfort. There is no quantitative data out there saying whether it is +P or is not.
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

Has anyone emailed SAMMI to ask them to establish standard and +P load ratings for the 9x18mm Makarov?

Or would that be like beating a dead horse?
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Or another way to go would be to write the factory in Radam and ask what pressure the P 64 was designed to (that information is available for the Makarov), then ask MFS what pressures their +P develops. Maybe that would help help us feel more at ease. That's probably as doable as getting 9x18 SAMMI standards established.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

I meant "SAAMI" ...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Last edited by normsutton on December 29th, 2006, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
najaf

Post by najaf »

Regular 95 gr is more than enough for me onmy P64 . It already gives a distinctive kick which I have to bear, shoots straight and tight. If these MFS are of plus P loading I may not use it..
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Ok Norm, I wrote MFS.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

While I'm waiting for MFS to reply, here's some other info on their 9x18. Obviously, I'm a collector and this stuff probably doesn't matter to most.

Some years ago MFS distributed a 93-grain round. This current offering is 95-grain. Here's a photo of both boxes (I have better examples of the 93-grain boxes but they're squirrled away in sealed ammo cans):

photobucket.com/albums/o14/nbender_photos/Img1013.jpg

The MFS website lists these parameters for those two varieties:

1. 6g (93-grains): muzzle velocity 315 m/s (1034 feet per second)

- I measured the bullet at 93.4-grains and 1002 fps

2. 6.15g (95-grains): muzzle velocity 300 m/s (984 fps)

- I measured the bullet at 93-grains and 981 fps. I measured two bullets - the heaviest and lightest of 20 rounds weighed, and they are 93-grains.

MFS also lists a cartridge with a 4.5g (70-grain) bullet that travels at 1280 fps. We haven't seen this sold in the U.S. as far as I know.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

nbender

THANKS

You know what ask I don't
I believe the +P on these bullets is a sales gimmick because American's like the biggest and the best , like I said earlier MFS is a partner of FEG so I don't think they would make a bullet that you couldn't fire in the PA-63 witch is a lighter gun than the P-64
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
destrux

Post by destrux »

Yeah, if they say it's +P and it actually isnt, it would be safe to fire in their PA-63 and they would still get the extra sales that +P designation would generate.

I dont know if that's their game, but it seems entirely possible to me.