bbl. swap on FEG R61

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
bigduke6

bbl. swap on FEG R61

Post by bigduke6 »

Ok I got a R61 and slide is marked for 9 mak. But is chaimberd in .380
I found some new 9 mak bbl. and I’d like to change it back. So my question is once the bbl. pin is removed is the bbl. pressed in or will I be able to remove it by hand ? Anything else I shoul know ? Thanks.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: bbl. swap on FEG R61

Post by Weasel640 »

Does the serial number on the Frame start with a "B" or a different prefix?

I believe one you remove the pin, you will need to press it out, and the new one will need to be pressed in.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Mercs

Post by Mercs »

bigduke6 wrote:Ok I got a R61 and slide is marked for 9 mak. But is chaimberd in .380
I found some new 9 mak bbl. and I’d like to change it back. So my question is once the bbl. pin is removed is the bbl. pressed in or will I be able to remove it by hand ? Anything else I shoul know ? Thanks.
Let’s say you can get the barrel on. Where are you going to get R61/SMC918 recoil springs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

PA63 springs. Same gun except the grip is shorter.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Mercs

Post by Mercs »

Ketchman wrote:PA63 springs. Same gun except the grip is shorter.
[emoji848]

Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

bigduke6

Post by bigduke6 »

Barrel swap went well. Not a hard job at all. Now that I see how it works, I think I could do one in about 20 or 30 minutes. Love the 9x18 it’s has a bit more bark than the .380
Mercs

Post by Mercs »

bigduke6 wrote:Barrel swap went well. Not a hard job at all. Now that I see how it works, I think I could do one in about 20 or 30 minutes. Love the 9x18 it’s has a bit more bark than the .380
What recoil spring are you using? Did you try the PA-63 yet?

bigduke6

Post by bigduke6 »

This may be the wrong place to post this but l now have a excellent .380 barrel for a R 61 or R59 or SMC that a would like to trade for a FEG R59 R61 or P63 mag. However, if someone really needs it I will send it to you free of charge.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

bigduke6 wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 9:54 pm This may be the wrong place to post this but l now have a excellent .380 barrel for a R 61 or R59 or SMC that a would like to trade for a FEG R59 R61 or P63 mag. However, if someone really needs it I will send it to you free of charge.
Post it in the Buy, Sell, Trade Board (linked below) as a new Topic, that way it will get more views...

http://www.p64resource.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Bigduke, have you changed the recoil spring yet and if so what did you go with, we are all dying to know?
bigduke6

Post by bigduke6 »

I have not changed the recoil spring. All I can find is the one for the P63. It would be to long due to barrel length. The pistol shoots really well and it does not eject the empty shells very far so at the moment I’m ok with what I got. Soooooo now if I had a P63 barrel that had the last 4/10s of the barrel threaded for a suppressor..............well maybe a project for next winter.
Kind of glad I ran into this instead of the P64 as I have injoyed working on it. But I am still needing to scratch my P64 itch.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Ok but may I suggest at least finding out if the poundage for the .380 spring and the 9x18 spring were the same or different. If the same no problem, if different I would recommend changing the spring soon before firing too many more rounds as too weak a spring could result in frame battering and cracking at the slide stop. These frames are aluminum alloy and don't like to be overstressed. And a PA63 spring works just fine just snip off coils till it matches the stock one on there now and since it was meant for a 9x18 to begin with it will at least be closer to correct weight. If you want higher poundage make it a coil longer and see if it will fit.
bigduke6

Post by bigduke6 »

I agree. Even if they are the same a new fresh spring should be installed.
bigduke6

Post by bigduke6 »

Range report.
To start with Because we are in the rainy season I never got to really see what the accuracy was with the .380 barrel. But today I finally got to do some testing with the 9x18. 0 malfunctions out of 100 rounds, 50 Tula and 50 Monarch. Both 94 grn. Into about 70 rounds the gun was very dirty as this ammo is not that clean but no problems. Rapid fire, slow fire, double and single action. The grouping was great “but” the gun requires a 6 o’clock hold to shoot center. Windage was good to go. The barrel is held in the frame collar and then pinned so I believe the used barrel is causing the 6 o’clock hold. This is not a problem for me as I have other guns factory designed that way. But I don’t think the FEGs were made that way. Anyway I love this thing.